Red light bulb

I had another question too can I mix breeds of chickens in the brooder? Because I am going to get 3 speckled sussex 2 cochins 1 male cochin 3 wyandottes and 1 blue bantam silkie.

Standard or bantam Cochins? Just the 1 Silkie? You've considered the possibility that the Silkie may get bullied by the bigger birds and may end up needing a separate coop/run and flock?

This is the heating plate that I might get tell me if its good for a brooder
https://www.amazon.com/Brinsea-EcoG...ucklings&qid=1609873758&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-1

Ok thank you for your feedback then I will buy some of these. I had another question too can I mix breeds of chickens in the brooder? Because I am going to get 3 speckled sussex 2 cochins 1 male cochin 3 wyandottes and 1 blue bantam silkie.
Yes it is fine to mix different breeds of chickens but it is advisable that they are close to the same age.

I have put one day old chicks in with 1 week old chicks successfully enough but I would not really advise allowing a bigger age gap than that. The older chicks could accidentally or deliberately injure the younger ones.

In terms of chick breeds - I raise a combination of full size breeds (Araucana) and bantam breeds (sebright and pekin) in the same brooder - they start out as same sized chicks but grow differently - but they consider themselves a family group so the later size difference doesn't cause any issues. They're all exceptionally happy together.

Golden laced cochins and no I haven't considered that the silkie would get bullied maybe its best if I get
Yes it is fine to mix different breeds of chickens but it is advisable that they are close to the same age.

I have put one day old chicks in with 1 week old chicks successfully enough but I would not really advise allowing a bigger age gap than that. The older chicks could accidentally or deliberately injure the younger ones.

In terms of chick breeds - I raise a combination of full size breeds (Araucana) and bantam breeds (sebright and pekin) in the same brooder - they start out as same sized chicks but grow differently - but they consider themselves a family group so the later size difference doesn't cause any issues. They're all exceptionally happy together.
ok thank you

Here is my brooder. It uses zero electricity and no risk of a fire. It also does the feeding, watering and flock integration. It prevents the dreaded pasty butt and is completely hands off from the moment you begin usage till the chicks are grown up. Best of all I only paid 2.99 for it. In all seriousness, this is the best way to go and I have never raised chicks myself that were so hardy and healthy as the chicks my Dizzy is currently bringing up. The most inconvenience I had was for the first two weeks keeping them in fresh water and then she taught them how to use the horizontal nipples on my home made barrel waterer after I put up some blocks up they could stand on. I realize not everyone has this luxury but it is something to keep in mind if you are in this for the long haul and plan on keeping chickens for many years. Having a broody is the best thing I have done with raising chicks. If this interests you just pick some breeds that are normally broody the next time you add chicks to your flock.
Before Dizzy I used both a heat lamp and a brooder plate and I highly recommended using the plate if at all possible. I hope you enjoyed meeting my Broody Brooder!
41E7C8E3-98F8-4C6B-8BB8-02B663022266.jpeg

Here is my brooder. It uses zero electricity and no risk of a fire. It also does the feeding, watering and flock integration. It prevents the dreaded pasty butt and is completely hands off from the moment you begin usage till the chicks are grown up. Best of all I only paid 2.99 for it. In all seriousness, this is the best way to go and I have never raised chicks myself that were so hardy and healthy as the chicks my Dizzy is currently bringing up. The most inconvenience I had was for the first two weeks keeping them in fresh water and then she taught them how to use the horizontal nipples on my home made barrel waterer after I put up some blocks up they could stand on. I realize not everyone has this luxury but it is something to keep in mind if you are in this for the long haul and plan on keeping chickens for many years. Having a broody is the best thing I have done with raising chicks. If this interests you just pick some breeds that are normally broody the next time you add chicks to your flock.
Before Dizzy I used both a heat lamp and a brooder plate and I highly recommended using the plate if at all possible. I hope you enjoyed meeting my Broody Brooder!View attachment 2477931
A93B8EF0-FFAC-4B2C-BC81-A2D050BF0ED3.jpeg

I’m a big fan of my broody brooder too! I’ve raised two batches in a brooder and two with a hen. Chicks raised by mom had a much easier time with flock integration and were overall more functional earlier on that the ones I raised. I DID raise the broody hen from a chick though.

Attachments

• E6A6FA5C-9F2F-434E-8AD7-A217B05BE20C.jpeg
    E6A6FA5C-9F2F-434E-8AD7-A217B05BE20C.jpeg
    280.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 2C033754-CBCB-444A-84B3-36D47BDA2996.jpeg
    2C033754-CBCB-444A-84B3-36D47BDA2996.jpeg
    447.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 25E5DF3F-6F60-4C19-9A8E-1A09B7E8274B.jpeg
    25E5DF3F-6F60-4C19-9A8E-1A09B7E8274B.jpeg
    477.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 3BD9E9ED-3E9D-4EBE-AD3A-E0BEF852EB83.jpeg
    3BD9E9ED-3E9D-4EBE-AD3A-E0BEF852EB83.jpeg
    458.6 KB · Views: 3
  • E3848B8C-39A7-47AE-ADA8-CECCA9ADA06A.jpeg
    E3848B8C-39A7-47AE-ADA8-CECCA9ADA06A.jpeg
    589 KB · Views: 3
View attachment 2478012

I’m a big fan of my broody brooder too! I’ve raised two batches in a brooder and two with a hen. Chicks raised by mom had a much easier time with flock integration and were overall more functional earlier on that the ones I raised. I DID raise the broody hen from a chick though.
Yes this would be much easier but this is going to be my first chickens so I do not have mother hen or any hens at all. Also i've heard that some of these mother hens when they are caring for the chicks sometimes she steps on them and then they die? I'm not sure about that but it would be nice to know

Yes this would be much easier but this is going to be my first chickens so I do not have mother hen or any hens at all. Also i've heard that some of these mother hens when they are caring for the chicks sometimes she steps on them and then they die? I'm not sure about that but it would be nice to know
Oops I didn’t mean to attach extra pics. Most of the time broody mom is great but there are always exceptions. First time I let mine hatch eggs I just monitored her closely when they were hatching.

Oops I didn’t mean to attach extra pics. Most of the time broody mom is great but there are always exceptions. First time I let mine hatch eggs I just monitored her closely when they were hatching.
Hmm that's a good to monitor her. I'm going to raise these chicks in a brooder (because I don't have a hen) and then when they grow up and have chicks of their own then maybe sometimes I wont use a brooder.

Back
Top Bottom