Red light chickens

welcome-byc.gif
I'm a old softie. When it gets below 40 I put on a red heat lamp. Also when they were younger I would give them treats in the coop in the evenings and when they went in for their favorite treats, I would close the pop door. Now they go in at night no problem. I never shut the pop door any more except if I need to for some reason.
yippiechickie.gif
old.gif
caf.gif

This is too funny. When I went outside around 10pm. this evening to turn off the red light in the coop. Some of them must have been thinking that it was early in the morning and ventured outside. Which they normally don't do once they go inside. I have this old girl, I'm sure that she doesn't lay eggs, sits in the doorway every night (half in, half out) looking out at the stars or whatever? . Go figure.

I have 7 banties and 4 RR's. My chicken house is not insulated. I live in Montana and it can get below freezing most nights in the winter. I have a red heat lamp set from 930 pm to 530 Am and a white one from 530 AM to 930 Pm. They are on timers. Am I wasting power or do they need these ?

They don't seem to bunch up right under the lights. They are hanging from the roof and are about 2 1/2 feet above roosts.

Lori

chicken women, that's about right I have a red heat lamp on, on cold nights, 3' above my roost. They all find their spots. Some will lay under it and the rest further away. I don't leave it on during the day as they are out in the yard most of the day except they might occasionally go in and pick at some of their feed or water as I keep it in the coop.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom