SWEETIE HAS NOW LAID 9 EGGS! The other? NOT ONE EGG! What's going on???

kbroom

Songster
Jan 26, 2023
I got my 3 older chickens in late February of this year. I thought they were probably a few days to a week old. On August the 1st, my cute, little Rock Barred Sweetie laid her very first egg, and has laid an egg ever since! That's now 9 eggs today! I'm so proud of her. My other "older" hens, supermodel, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Sugar, and my glamour girl, Easter Egger, Joy have only looked at the egg box in passing. These two darlings won't even eat worms! I'm not kidding! They just looked at the worms, and stood back, as though they were afraid of getting dirty! Sweetie and my other four Golden Sex Links gobbled down all the worms. I'm still not giving up hope on my two fancy girls, but it's looking rather grim right now. The weather here in Texas sometimes is climbing into three digits too. In the heat of the day, I bring in ice bottles, ice cubes, and cold water melon for them. I also have a sand box that I sprinkle with fine water drops, and train a fan on it, so that they have a cool sand bath, in the heat of the day. The first picture below, on the left is a picture of Sweetie, my little egg layer. Meanwhile, my Golden Sex-Links have formed a gossip session over in the corner, trying to figure out what all the hoopla is about! I let the girls free range for two hours in the early morning from 6:30 am, to around 8:30 am. Then, after the day cools down a little, I'll let them out again to roam free from 6 pm to around 8 pm. They automatically go into their coop around 8:30 pm. Also, they seem to know when to get out of the heat in the mornings, and head back to the pen, to keep out of the heavy sun. I close them in at night and sing to them, and close the sheet covering, to keep them calm overnight.
The last two pics are of my Supermodel, Sugar, and my Glamour Girl, Joy. Hopefully, they'll start laying soon...

Attachments

• IMG_4977.JPG
    IMG_4977.JPG
    615.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4974.JPG
    IMG_4974.JPG
    351.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4991.JPG
    IMG_4991.JPG
    507.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4978.JPG
    IMG_4978.JPG
    526.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4909.JPG
    IMG_4909.JPG
    551.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4982.JPG
    IMG_4982.JPG
    397.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4988.JPG
    IMG_4988.JPG
    420.9 KB · Views: 5
Those fancy girls can wait until they are 6-7 months old - and up here, the day is getting shorter - often times mine won't lay until the end of January.

I have two juvenile birds now, that I am hoping for winter eggs from, but last year, my pullets did not lay through the winter - if they don't start laying, they wait.

They’re about 5 months old? Don’t worry, they’ll get there. Some breeds take longer than others. Soon you’ll have more eggs than you know what to do with….
Thanks for the info. When ya don't know, ya don't know! I'm actually relieved. Some people were trying to convince me that maybe my fancy girls were male! I don't think so...:D

Back
Top Bottom