Red matter in poop

smott

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
No gross pics, but I have noticed that occasionally some of my chickens' poop has what looks like reddish material in it... almost looks like tiny pieces of flesh. It's just random, here and there in both chicken pens, and I have no idea which chickens are doing it. They also leave yellow foamy looking droppings fairly often. Haven't seen any worms. None of them appear sick, all are eating well. Many of them just lost quite a few feathers, and I just assumed they were molting. I'm fairly new to chickens, so I'm unsure if this means they need to be treated with Corid for coccidia, or if they need to be wormed? They range from 6 weeks up to 6 months in age, and I have never wormed them. I did start them all out on medicated chick starter, and I did treat one group of them with tylosin about a month ago for respiratory issues. Recommendations appreciated!

Of course I couldn’t find any when I look for it lol. This is a very tiny example... sometimes it’s larger and redder. Doesn’t look like frank blood, more like tissue of some sort. And I don’t see any of the yellow droppings right now will update with better pics when I see!
74A2BF32-FCF1-4EC0-912D-6DBFE5277F8F.jpeg

They are eating a mixture of Purina Flock Raiser crumbles and Purina Layena crumbles. Oyster shell and grit offered on the side. They get treats like bread, fresh fruits (grapes, watermelon, etc), Purina scratch grains, mealworms pretty regularly... occasionally some scrambled eggs. I do add apple cider vinegar to their water about once a week or so.

Back
Top Bottom