Red Partridge Orpington informational hatch thread

Pics
Any reactions from the other birds now that the littles are out and about?
Good move to put the feeder on a tray!
I haven't taken down the chicken wire yet, that splits the coop in half, so the other birds haven't had any direct interactions yet. They can see each other through the wire and the babies are definitely very curious, they run up to the wire when another chicken comes into the coop. So far the other chickens seem to ignore them. When should I take the chicken wire away and let them mix? I'm going to put the ramp back on the coop leading down from the pop door, so the babies can get up and down (I'd removed it to save space, and to stop tripping over it outside :lol: and realized just how unnecessary a ramp is! A couple of stumps are enough for grown chickens to get up and down, and save a lot of space).

The tray really helps keep at least some of the shavings out of the food and water. Though they still kick a good amount onto it, and for some reason broody keeps dumping her giant smelly turds on the tray right next to the food and water :sick

Everybody got their Marek’s shot today, including Crooky and the broody’s chicks. She didn’t mind me taking them and stabbing them. Bribing her with scrambled egg helped, but she’s cool with me regardless.

I felt so bad throwing the excess vaccine out. 1000-dose vial is the smallest I could find, and it wasn’t cheap. I posted on a bunch of local chicken groups to see if anybody wants it, but only received one response. Still, better than nothing. A lady drove 40 minutes each way to bring me the single chick she managed to hatch, and I gave it the shot. Would’ve been even more ridiculous for her to pay $74 for a single dose, so it worked out.

Here’s one of mine:
View attachment 2627610

And trusting mama with her babies:
View attachment 2627620
View attachment 2627621
She is soooo pretty!

Everybody got their Marek’s shot today, including Crooky and the broody’s chicks. She didn’t mind me taking them and stabbing them. Bribing her with scrambled egg helped, but she’s cool with me regardless.

I felt so bad throwing the excess vaccine out. 1000-dose vial is the smallest I could find, and it wasn’t cheap. I posted on a bunch of local chicken groups to see if anybody wants it, but only received one response. Still, better than nothing. A lady drove 40 minutes each way to bring me the single chick she managed to hatch, and I gave it the shot. Would’ve been even more ridiculous for her to pay $74 for a single dose, so it worked out.

Here’s one of mine:
View attachment 2627610

And trusting mama with her babies:
View attachment 2627620
View attachment 2627621
Broody mama is so pretty!!

So, red partridge orps are supposed to have the chipmunk stripes when young. Here's a top down view of all of my good ones (minus Crooky). Took a lot of herding to get them all in the same shot :lol: One has very clear stripes, just like it should. One has okay stripes. The yellow one has the slightest hint of stripes, and is way too yellow. I'm guessing it has a bit more lemon cuckoo in it. The other two have no stripes at all, and are very honey-brown. I'm guessing they have some chocolate orp in them. The brown one in the center had the eye issue for the first couple of days, and seemed sleepier and wobblier than the rest, but it's looking and acting more and more normal. Its eye looks less weird now, too.

90ECFA3C-7D7D-40F9-AC0C-EC08AECEB7BA.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom