Red plug in incubator purpose

muircheartaigh

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 13, 2013
Point La Nim, NB, Canada
Looking for seasoned advice on the use of the red plug in my hovabator genesis 1588. When is it removed? What is its original purpose? If lost what is a suitable substitute?

Should I leave it open for the full hatch? Remove at lock down? After lock down?

Thanks!

This is just my opinion: I'd put it in a very safe place, one so safe that I wouldn't be able to find it again! IMO, air exchange is far more important than the value of any plug! I have a home made incubator (styrofoam) and it has LOTS of ventilation holes. (perhaps too many... I got a little carried away with my pencil during the first hatch!)

The red plastic plug is a marketing tool.

It is there to make you think you bought something more than just a Styrofoam box with a plastic shell on it. It is to make you think years of experimentation and developmental research went into your finely honed incubator.

I found after losing the plugs and not worrying about the humidity as much, my hatch rate went up.

I would like to offer this, to the advice you have gotten so far, pretend it is homework and let the dog eat it....

Last edited:
Ya, my plugs are gone too. lol If I need a boost of heat or humidity and feel the need to cover them I just throw a quarter over them for 15 minutes till my numbers increase and ten take them back off...lol

I have found the cream of the crop (pun intended). Thank you for all your advice. I'm not too stressed with the plug and i have regulated the temp. And humidity with, believe it or not, my daughter's doll bottle...haha. Perfect seal.

Back
Top Bottom