Red raw skin on belly

Apr 9, 2019
Maryland
Sorry about the title, not sure how to describe it.

Today I opened the nesting boxes to collect eggs, and one of my hens was eating an egg in there. (Totally different problem not correlated with this.)
I took the half eaten egg out of there and threw it away. When I took the rest of the eggs out from under her, I realized under her crop and down to her legs had lost feathers and red skin.
I put cream on it that I use for that type of thing, and as I did so, I could tell she was in pain.

Things you should know about this hen:
- For all her life, she hasn’t had feathers around her head, under her, and crop area. I dunno why.
- She always twitches her head for some reason.
- She is in high spirits and has always been. She acts very happy.
- She eats eggs often.

How can I help her/what is wrong?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    421.4 KB · Views: 145
I realized under her crop and down to her legs had lost feathers and red skin.
I put cream on it that I use for that type of thing, and as I did so, I could tell she was in pain.

Things you should know about this hen:
- For all her life, she hasn’t had feathers around her head, under her, and crop area. I dunno why.
- She always twitches her head for some reason.
- She is in high spirits and has always been. She acts very happy.
- She eats eggs often.

How can I help her/what is wrong?
Can you post a photo of all of her? What she looks like standing?

How does her crop feel? Empty, hard, soft, squishy - any sour smell to her breath?
Check the crop first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks, it should be empty.

I would check her over for lice/mites as well.

How does her crop feel? Empty, hard, soft, squishy - any sour smell to her breath?
Check the crop first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks, it should be empty.

I've done all that. Her crop feels normal. That's what's puzzling about the situation.

I'll get a picture ASAP.

What breed? Very common occurence on heavy meat birds right down the keel. Mostly on roosters but some of my cornish hens develop it also.

Okay here are some pictures.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    627.8 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    591.1 KB · Views: 55
Looks like a rooster to me and looks like he's been trying to give better than he's been getting and not being very successful at the giving part.

A few more questions....How old is she? What do you feed, including treats? Did you get her as a chick or hatch her yourself? Has she molted before? If the skin is irritated then depluming mites maybe. Those you won't see, but can irritate the bird to the point that they pull their own feathers looking for relief. I would watch her while roosting to see if she rubs against something, or is getting feather picked, which could also cause feather loss and irritation. Likewise during the day, is she putting her head through fencing or something that is rubbing feathers? The head twitch could be something irritating her, or could be neurological. I've had some random twitches in birds with no explanation, they did fine and lived normal lives. Most of my birds head twitching is caused by gnats/no-see-ums.
https://poultrykeeper.com/external-problems/depluming-mites/

Back
Top Bottom