Red Residue Spots on Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cstronks, Oct 30, 2013.

1. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    Hey All,

Quick Question...So I have five hens who are all happy, healthy, and have been laying steady for about 4 months. I get anywhere between 3-5 eggs a day. Anyways, today I went to harvest some eggs, and there were small red freckles on the outside of two of the eggs. This isn't uncommon, as I know some eggs are freckled, but what was strange is that these freckles washed off when I rinsed the eggs inside? Why is that? What was this residue? Is that normal to have on eggs? I have searched the forum and haven't found an answer. Hopefully somebody knows? Thanks!

2. imogene08

imogene08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    This is completely normal I'm not what to call it possibly calcium residue I think.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Could it be dirt from a dust bath? If they had just had a dust bath, then came in to lay, you can sometimes get dirt residue on the eggs. Eggs are wet when laid (due to the bloom) so touching the feathers on the way out can get some stuff on it.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  4. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    Most of my eggs have a pastel like appearance and have no wet or slime on them after they are laid. I don't think it is calcium build-up because it washes off. It could very well be the bloom of the egg because it washed off with some good scrubbing. The red coloration was very strange too, but the eggs seemed fine.

5. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by