Red rooster with white tail feathers

What kind of comb does the buff have? Hard to see clearly, it kind of looks like possible funky pea comb which often happens out of pea crossed to a different comb type.

His wattles are reduced, there are two main genes which does that- pea and beard.

btw beard is very variable in crosses, a few can seem beardless when in fact they have one it is just minimal and lying smooth. The chin on buff one just seems 'off' somehow, could be because of his posture in those pictures though. Beardless or not pure for beardless EE exist. A not pure bearded EE roo will throw half beardeds, half nons.

red/white with wyandotte- if hen is silver lace, that's a sex linked cross- boys will show black.white coloring, girls brown-red/black. They will not have complete lacing, typically more like spangles, half moons. If a boy inherits dominant white, it will be mostly white with some red wash as it matures. Females will be patterned red/brown with a lot of white detail. DW 'replaces' black but leaves red/gold pigments mostly unaffected.

over welsummer, the boys probably will look a lot like him, in both black or white tail versions. girls probably have a degree of patterning on their backs... the black areas will be white if she has DW.

btw the roo over wyandottes will give some birds with walnut combs.

What kind of comb does the buff have? Hard to see clearly, it kind of looks like possible funky pea comb which often happens out of pea crossed to a different comb type.

His wattles are reduced, there are two main genes which does that- pea and beard.

btw beard is very variable in crosses, a few can seem beardless when in fact they have one it is just minimal and lying smooth. The chin on buff one just seems 'off' somehow, could be because of his posture in those pictures though. Beardless or not pure for beardless EE exist. A not pure bearded EE roo will throw half beardeds, half nons.

red/white with wyandotte- if hen is silver lace, that's a sex linked cross- boys will show black.white coloring, girls brown-red/black. They will not have complete lacing, typically more like spangles, half moons. If a boy inherits dominant white, it will be mostly white with some red wash as it matures. Females will be patterned red/brown with a lot of white detail. DW 'replaces' black but leaves red/gold pigments mostly unaffected.

over welsummer, the boys probably will look a lot like him, in both black or white tail versions. girls probably have a degree of patterning on their backs... the black areas will be white if she has DW.

btw the roo over wyandottes will give some birds with walnut combs.

Here are a couple pictures of the Buffs comb. Sorry they are not the best but I had to use my phone to take them. If you need more clear pics let me know and I will try with my wife's tablet. Thanks

Sorry to butt in, but I found this to be very interesting. I have 4 six week old chicks from my Production Red rooster and Golden Comet (Red Sex Link) hens. 3 of them are all a buff color and 1 being a rooster that is red and white. I've been curious as to what he will turn out to look like, since he is the only one like him. I came across this thread and tadaaa...thanks!! I think this color pattern is very pretty for a rooster!!

Sorry to butt in, but I found this to be very interesting. I have 4 six week old chicks from my Production Red rooster and Golden Comet (Red Sex Link) hens. 3 of them are all a buff color and 1 being a rooster that is red and white. I've been curious as to what he will turn out to look like, since he is the only one like him. I came across this thread and tadaaa...thanks!! I think this color pattern is very pretty for a rooster!!

No need to apologize. That's what this thread is for. That is why i started it is because I searched everywhere and could not find any information on mine. I am glad it could help someone else as well. I knew i would find lots of great info on this site. Very good site with lots of helpful and knowledgeable people.

Here are a couple pictures of the Buffs comb. Sorry they are not the best but I had to use my phone to take them. If you need more clear pics let me know and I will try with my wife's tablet. Thanks

Perfect! That is a common 'result' out of crossing a pea with a single comb.

BTW no chance of either being ISA brown. It's a very common mistake to think color=breed(or something specific). ISA Browns are not supposed to have pea at all.

Besides, ISA Brown roosters look totally different- white or off white with red mostly limited to the wing patch. The hatcheries use sex linked mating for visual sexing of the chicks at hatch- white= boy, reddish=girl.

Last edited:
Perfect! That is a common 'result' out of crossing a pea with a single comb.

BTW no chance of either being ISA brown. It's a very common mistake to think color=breed(or something specific). ISA Browns are not supposed to have pea at all.

Besides, ISA Brown roosters look totally different- white or off white with red mostly limited to the wing patch. The hatcheries use sex linked mating for visual sexing of the chicks at hatch- white= boy, reddish=girl.

Thanks. So is there any real way to tell what breeds they were crossed with?

Thanks. So is there any real way to tell what breeds they were crossed with?

Nothing fool proof- except if their daughters lay green eggs then that is proof they have Easter Egger blood.

EE are the most common backyard source for birds that are both pea combed and bearded.

Yellow legs, deep red color and presence of dominant white all on one bird, the most common candidate for that is red sex link hens. Nothing else comes even close.

Buff orpington for the second one is a great guess- to create solid buff coloring requires several different genes and so is a challenge to create. Buff orps are the most common solid buff found in backyards. If he came from same place as the other roo, then it makes EE roo a plausible other part of the mix.

A flock of several different breed hens that happens to include buff orp, red sex link hens with maybe a single EE roo isn't so impossible- again all three are extremely common in backyard flocks.

Nothing fool proof- except if their daughters lay green eggs then that is proof they have Easter Egger blood.

EE are the most common backyard source for birds that are both pea combed and bearded.

Yellow legs, deep red color and presence of dominant white all on one bird, the most common candidate for that is red sex link hens. Nothing else comes even close.

Buff orpington for the second one is a great guess- to create solid buff coloring requires several different genes and so is a challenge to create. Buff orps are the most common solid buff found in backyards. If he came from same place as the other roo, then it makes EE roo a plausible other part of the mix.

A flock of several different breed hens that happens to include buff orp, red sex link hens with maybe a single EE roo isn't so impossible- again all three are extremely common in backyard flocks.

Thanks again.

I have a cockerel that looks just like it only younger. I believe the guy who said it was reverse engineered is right because mine was supposed to be a red sex link. However, the other possibility is that your chicken sex changed which happens when an ovary of a hen is damaged. The loss of an ovary can cause a hen to produce a lot more testosterone and become s rooster. It will be sterile though, has yours fertilized a clutch?

Back
Top Bottom