Red rooster with white tail feathers

BantamRun

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 20, 2014
Gaylord, MI

I borrowed this picture from another thread but it looks just like my rooster. The other thread never said what kind it is. Can anyone tell me what breed this is please? I have searched all over the internet and can't seem to find it anywhere. I will get pictures of mine when it gets daylight out.

Last edited:
It's not a breed. It's a barnyard mix. Sometimes, that's just fine. He may well be a "reverse engineered" Red Sex link but that would be idle speculation and even that would be a mix/mutt/barnyard chicken in itself.

If he's a good bird? No worries.
I agree.

It's not a breed. It's a barnyard mix. Sometimes, that's just fine. He may well be a "reverse engineered" Red Sex link but that would be idle speculation and even that would be a mix/mutt/barnyard chicken in itself.

Thanks. This does have a little more white than mine as I have just noticed and my is a little darker red. Not sure if that changes things but thanks for the info just the same.

Sorry to keep bothering you but If i might ask what does reverse engineered mean exactly?

Sorry to keep bothering you but If i might ask what does reverse engineered mean exactly?
It's not important, really.

As a breeder, I could "make" a bird that looks like that, is all I'm saying. I have the "ingredients" in the barn.
big_smile.png

OK, just for educational purposes.

If you put a gold(red) male (many breeds would work) over a silver(white) female the first gen, ie, F1's would be sex linked, ie the males would hatch out mostly white (with some red tints) while the pullets would be reddish with white tints.

This male is a reverse. So, if you bred back the F1's, a percentage of the F2 would produce cockerels with that look. Orange rusty birds with some white, mostly in the tail section. That would be one way to make a male with that coloration, but not the only way.

Back
Top Bottom