red sex link chick looks like a RIR chick?

northerncaliforniachick

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 1, 2009
sonoma county
Do Red Sex link Chicks (2 days old) look the same as Rhode Island Reds? The pictures I've seen show RSLs looking more red. I just bought a "RSL" and it looks just like my RIR did when I got her.
thanks for any help!

My red sex links were kind of blondish with red-brown stripes where as the RIR were all over red-brown and much darker. Of course I got mine at TSC and they could be ALL wrong!!

The Red Sex Link Hybrid is the result of crossing the pure Rhode Island Red rooster with a Delaware hen.

The boys chicks are yellow and the girls have a red-brown tint to them.

My RIR's were darker but they looked similar as fuzzies.

As the feathers came in the sex link quickly got a good bit of white and lighter feathers, while the true RIR's stayed dark.

Again, if TSC is right about what they had . . . the production reds I got (very similar to basic Red Sex Link) were red, red on head and backs with lighter/whiter bellies. The males are all fluffy light yellow.

Maybe you now have another RIR to keep the first company!

Ya, either way is fine. I had my heart set on a certain flock, but this week is forcing me to understand that I can't control everything
smile.png

Plus, there seems to be variation in the RSL- so, I'll find out eventually and either way will be great: love my chickies
smile.png

Thanks for all the responses!
Now I just need to figure out how to post pictures here so that you can know what I'm talking about
smile.png

Hmmm...I'm wondering about that RSL 'white' feathering comment. I'm wondering...could anyone post any photos to show us the difference? I was told my girls were RIRs but as they're feathering out...they do have a 'decent' amount of white feathers and now you've got me thinking....although...if they ARE RSLs...that means they're all pullets which will make my hubby VERY happy as we've all gotten very attached to them!
Could anyone post pics for us please? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom