Red Sex-link, Golden Sex-link, Golden Comet, Red Star...same breed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hatcheries "fudge" all kinds of descriptions and take great liberties with what they call this "breed" or that "breed". It is called marketing and not everything on the internet is true. Shocking, I know.

The only place you'll find the breed police is at an APA sanctioned show where through the process of peer review and in the hands of a licensed poultry judge, birds are evaluated. Outside of that? There are no breed police writing tickets so people can pretty much say whatever they wish.

Cackle Hatchery sells Rhode Island White chicks. On their breed descriptions they mention what cross their sex link chicken are comprised of. That hatchery crosses Production Red and RIW for Cinnamon Queen and RIR and RIW for Golden Comets. Red Sex Links are different still. Moderator Fred should know this.

Well, "moderator Fred" knows that that he would quite unlikely to find any birds, at any of the major hatcheries that are bred true the Standard for the breed they are claimed to be. He also thinks there's an awful lot about poultry that Chicken Paradise doesn't know yet, but he wishes Chicken Paradise only the best and hopes Chicken Paradise will continue to learn.

T
Just cause they call them Rhode Island Whites doesn't mean they really are. They say themselves on the site that RIW are a rose combed breed, but their stock is single combed. To me, that means it's not really a RIW.

Red sex link is a generic term for multiple crosses of a gold factor rooster over a silver factor hen. I can make red sex links in my backyard all day long. Comet, Queen, Star, etc are simply marketing terms coined by different hatcheries.

That is a good point. I remember Golden Comet being referred to as Hubbard's Golden Comet, obviously proprietary like the ISA Brown. It's all in the genetics, thus the variation in egg production, temperament, etc. One of my most evil chicks was a "production" white leghorn from McMurray years ago, had to put it down in the brooder!

Hi.... To tell you all that Golden comets, cinnamon Queen, Production Red, Red sexlinks , etc all are same crossbred chickens( White Leghorn Rooster/ Rhode Island red hen) That is it!!! Reasons you see all different names is because of the hatcheries named them. Any questions to ask?

Hi.... To tell you all that Golden comets, cinnamon Queen, Production Red, Red sexlinks , etc all are same crossbred chickens( White Leghorn Rooster/ Rhode Island red hen) That is it!!! Reasons you see all different names is because of the hatcheries named them. Any questions to ask?
Absolutely incorrect! No sex-linked crosses can be produced with a White Leghorn rooster and a Rhode Island Red hen. Genetically impossible. Here is a video link just for you Bsfishin72

Last edited:
That video is different sexlinks I see Rhode Island red Rooster with whatever females are white... I am talking about the best brown egg layer in the world is Golden nugget or Golden comet or Red Star !! That is crossbred with white leghorn rooster and RI red hen :) I have raised them .

Last edited:

That is crossbred rooster from the White Leghorn rooster/ RI red hen

Last edited:
Ha I am chicken expert.... That video is different sexlinks I see Rhode Island red Rooster with whatever females are white... I am talking about the best brown egg layer in the world is Golden nugget or Golden comet or Red Star.. That is crossbred with white leghorn rooster and RI red hen :) I have raised them .. Yes I unds what ur talking about but generally most popluar red sexlink is golden comet or nuggets etc.... Yes many other red sexlinks but they arent best brown layers than what Im talking about.. :) Simple goggle it and see

I would assume a chicken expert would recognize the Delaware hens in the video. Are you aware the term sex-link is applied to those crosses that will produce chicks that are sexable by color at hatch? Red sex-link male chicks hatch white 100% of the time. And female chicks hatch red 100% of the time. That is the entire concept of the term sex-link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom