Red sex link rooster? Help!

So is there something I’m missing in rules somewhere that we couldn’t own a rooster? We’re really new to the whole chicken thing. It never occurred to me that we might not be allowed to own one!

So is there something I’m missing in rules somewhere that we couldn’t own a rooster? We’re really new to the whole chicken thing. It never occurred to me that we might not be allowed to own one!

Yes, depending on where you live there may be a law against keeping roosters. This could even depend on what road you live on. A house down the road from me (which is technically on a different road) has a rooster. Where I live, I can't have any roosters (I have one anyway though :plbb😇🤫).

You may want to look up the laws to own chickens in your town. We have to have ours 50ft from any house and can only have 4 every place has different rules. Some you cant even own chickens at all.

Some places do not allow roosters because of noise restrictions (which is totally unfair dogs are way louder than roosters-) so you would need to check before getting one.

Ah! I guess I never thought of that. We live in the county, and I don’t know of any laws. We just found one of the hens, killed by one of our dogs. Ugh! Why did the dog do that?! They’ve been together for a year with no issues. So now my daughter says that she absolutely has to get a rooster. She says that will defend the hens?

Ah! I guess I never thought of that. We live in the county, and I don’t know of any laws. We just found one of the hens, killed by one of our dogs. Ugh! Why did the dog do that?! They’ve been together for a year with no issues. So now my daughter says that she absolutely has to get a rooster. She says that will defend the hens?
I'm so sorry about your hen! Living in the country you will probably be fine with a roo. A good roo will in fact defend the hens, but that could become an issue. If he is too good at his job, you don't want him injuring the dog by pecking/scratching his eyes or face. Roos will also keep an eye out for danger and will warn hens of things like hawks. You could try getting some more pullets, then a rooster-the excitement of chicks will distract her for a while, and then you can see if you would feel good getting a roo.

Back
Top Bottom