1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red sex link?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ohju1ia, Dec 15, 2013.

1. ohju1ia

ohju1ia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Ball Ground, GA
    [​IMG]
    I hatched this chick yesterday. It's dad is a RIR and mom is a white rock. It's the only chick that hatched so I have no siblings to compare it to. Is this a red sex link pullet? Or does my white rock not carry the right genome? Or is it impossible to tell?

2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

"Red sex-links are a cross between a Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire rooster and a White Rock (This variety pair is known as a Golden Comet)."

You could also use a Rhode Island White or Delaware hen to produce a similar sex-link chicken.

"The most common problems people have when trying to do this cross themselves is the silver gene needed in the White Plymouth Rocks. Hatchery stock New Hampshire Reds may have a cross in them that throws it off too. Chicks from White Plymouth Rocks that carry the silver gene will be smoky gray in color, and will be all white as adults. Another advantage of the silver gene is their feathers wont turn yellow in the sun like White Rocks bred without it."

Are you sure the only possibility is a Rhode Island Red rooster a White Plymouth Rock hen?

With Red Sex-Link chicks the pullet is darker, if your White Rock has the silver gene.

I am going to say it is not a sex-link chick because usually the males are white or pale yellow and the pullets are darker with some red.

Like this from a Rhode Island Red rooster and Delaware hen.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  3. ohju1ia

Jul 10, 2013
    Ball Ground, GA
    The only rooster I have is a RIR, and a dog killed more than half of my layers two months ago, leaving me with my White Rocks. Besides those, I have an EE and a White Leghorn at POL, but no eggs yet (and they wouldn't lay a brown egg.) I'm assuming my white rock doesn't carry the silver factor.

4. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Yep. Maybe you should get a Rhode Island White or a Delaware hen if you want to produce Red Sex-Link chicks.

Or you could just get a Rhode Island Red hen and produce Rhode Island Reds. :)

5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    dont assume the easter egger isnt laying a brown egg. I have had many easter eggers lay brown eggs

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

7. ohju1ia

Jul 10, 2013
    Ball Ground, GA
    The EE isn't laying yet. My white rocks are older. This was the last egg I collected before they stopped laying for winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by