Red Sex Links not laying 26wks

We have 51 sex links hens, I read that sex linked can only be hens. You know that the one in the background doesn't really look like a sex linked. Anyway we bought ours as chicks back in May and they are not laying yet either. We had thought when we bought them that they wouldn't be laying until September which would make them about 18-20 weeks old. Well good luck with them!

CaSandra from Toledo

Yes, those are hens for sure. The squat means she is ready to accept a mate and lay. Your girls are just latebloomers! Sometimes, folks will think they are buying one breed, in your case red sexlinks, then they realize that they not only got a different, though similar-looking breed, but a rooster to boot. That's what I hoped did NOT happen to you!

Mine are 17 weeks and not laying yet. Our neighbor's sex links began laying at 15 weeks. She keeps calling us and asking if we want to buy eggs from her.

I don't think she's being mean, just excited, but it's still annoying.

If the one is squatting she should start laying soon. Is there any place they could be hiding any eggs?

I am also guessing that they aren't as old as you think that they are. They definitely look like red sexlinks, however they could also be a strange red sexlink. Not all red sexlinks are Rhode Island Red over White Rocks. Some other common red sexlinks are Rhode Island Red over Rhode Island Whites, Rhode Island Red over Delawares, New Hampshire Reds over White Rocks... Of course they could be just about any red rooster over a white hen so who knows when they will start laying. Judging by their wattles and combs I would guess that you are still a couple of weeks away.
sad.png

I haven't seen squatting to be an accurate indicator of imminent eggs unless there is a rooster in the flock. Though, speaking of roosters, in my experience a rooster does get the pullets to hurry it up a bit.

You sure have beautiful girls! Watch their waddles and combs the will get very very red I bet it won't be long now!
Welcome to BYC
Oh you are gonna love them!

Quote:
No, they can be roosters too.

The crossbreeding produces chicks that can be differentiated at hatching, typically on the basis of color, though crossing a red rooster with a barred rock hen yields cockerels with a white spot on their heads and pullets without. It doesn't alter the ratio of cockerels hatched to pullets hatched in any way.

RSD

Well my red sexlinks just layed today at 22 weeks. yours should lay in a couple of days or weeks. Mine layed right in the nestboxes I built, I just looked in them today buy luck and saw them in there. I give them purina layena with some cracked corn. About 6 soup cans full of pellets with 1/2 can of cracked corn, plus some green, such as leaves off a vine. I put a good length of vine in the pen full of leaves and by the end of the day it is stripped clean. Those are all hens, I have a red sexlink rooster and he is all white with a tan neck and some brown feathers. Once there faces turn red just like there combs and wattles, it should be really close. There combs and wattles are the same height and length as well. I hope you get eggs soon, I got mine at 3 months and they layed at 5 months.well I wish you luck

.......Cody

Quote:
Interesting. I'm a newbie (mine won't start laying for a few weeks), but from reading I know that scratch does not contain enough protein for laying.

Do your chickens free range? In other words, are they getting the protein from bugs, little frogs, etc?

Wisconsin Garden Chick
http://backyardnestegg.blogspot.com/

Back
Top Bottom