Red Sex Links Not Laying

Salmon Falls Urban Hens

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 5, 2009
I just picked up 6 new ladies (12/14/08) and when I got them to their new home everything was fine, the 6 of them started right away giving me 3 eggs a day. The problem I am having is now its down to maybe 1?? I live in NH and of coures its winter, but I have added 3 hours of light in the mornings with a timer. They are eating egg maker mash (Blue Seal Feed) I have oyster shells, and their water is not freezing. Just looking for some ideas on why they are not laying more?? I bought these locally from a lady that is on here (BYC) and I believe her when she says they are just starting to lay, so l am just looking for some suggestions.

Thanks

Last edited:
It's probably just a combination of everything getting them a little "off". I wouldn't worry about it, once they've fully adjusted to their new home, light in the coop, cold temps, they should start producing again. It won't be too long before you're getting 5-6 eggs a day.

Thank you so much, I kinda figured that. They are Red Stars so they are really supposed to lay very good.

Thanks again.........
big_smile.png

Hi, SFUH, welcome aboard!

What's the protein percentage of that layer feed? It's not one I see where I am. Is the situation you're keeping them in similar to the lady you got them from? I'm looking for anything that's a big change, like going from free-range to confinement, anything like that. Do you know what she was feeding them?

A lot of folks have hens that keep laying well all winter, even in very cold climates. I believe the major difference is dietary. 16% protein in the winter isn't enough. They need more energy to stay warm, even more to both stay warm and lay eggs. Higher protein, say 18-20%, and some black oil sunflower seeds, will often turn things around and get them laying again. They also need some whole grains, like scratch, and a little whole corn, to have strong, well developed gizzards. this improves the overall health of the digestive system, which in turn, improves the overall health of the birds. Give that mixture as a treat daily, but not enough to cause a significant reduction in the total protein of their diet.

Did their previous owner say whether they went through a molt already? If they didn't, they may be doing that now. Are they getting a little raggedy, or are you seeing a lot of feathers on the floor/ground?

Hi,

swtangel321, I live in Rochester and where might you be.....

dancingbear, When the snow stops and I get things cleaned up I will have to take a look at the protein amounts on their feed. They were supposed to be 20 to 22 weeks and just starting to lay. I like the idea of the black oil sunflower seeds, I will be getting some of those on Monday.

Thank you for help

Back
Top Bottom