Phantom_k9

Songster
Oct 29, 2019
North Texas
My Coop
My Coop
I have determined that we have a family of RS Hawks that have moved into the area. In a previous post, I described a run in with a hawk that dove towards our flock and was only deterred by me swinging at it with a broom; I now know this was a RSH. It had been a month since I had seen any real hawk activity since. We have a red tail that stays high up and doesn't bother us. It probably will sound crazy, but I feel like the Red Tail and I have a weird understanding; a sort of "you don't mess with these birds, I won't mess with you" kind of thing.
Anyways, back to the RSH. In the past week, there have been three of these birds getting dangerously close to our chickens. They haven't attacked yet, but they have flown dangerously close; as in I have started to worry about myself getting attacked! They either fly through the trees near our yard, or circle up in the air; all while screeching non stop. I have a few decent pictures of two of the birds, and I have a feeling that they are trying to teach their youngest how to hunt. The timing sorta lines up, and it would explain why they have been going crazy when it comes to hunting.
I would hope this isn't a problem, give them a month to kick out the juvi and we get back to normal. Is that remotely correct? Also, if they have nested near by, in someone's yard, could I work with said neighbor to get the nest removed (via wildlife services of course) or do I just have to suffer?

I don't really know why I am making a post, it just felt like the thing to do... If anyone has had any experience with these majestic birds please do share!

Last edited:
Also, we have a fake owl that we move every other day around the yard, but it doesn't seem to bother the hawks. I swore that it worked when the birds are farther away, but I guess when they get close up they realize the jig is up.
However... if I could find someone who could make a life like model of a fake hawk that is bigger than the RSH (i.e. an eagle or a red tail), would that work to keep them away? Fighting fire with fire?

I have resident red shouldered hawks on my property, and I LOVE them! They do not bother my chickens at all, and keep other hawks away. I do believe their diet consists of small prey (snakes, toads, mice). I usually see them with snakes.
I suppose you have managed to train your hawks then! While I can not confirm if we have had any successful attacks yet, we have had several close calls. A while ago one swooped down towards our birds, and I managed to scare him off before I could see if he was wanting to do more than just say hi. Just today two flew within 15 feet of me and my birds...

I would hope these hawks don't mess with our birds, but I'm not too keen to give them a chance...

hawk-vs-owl-blog-image-1.jpg

I really don't know how to get rid of a hawk. Maybe there is a wildlife organization in your area that would know. Because of issues with all sorts of hawks and eagles, here in the past including RSH, I covered all of my pens and don't let the birds free range anymore. A couple of times over the years a hawk killed a bird not 10 feet away from me. It happened so fast I didn't have time to react. Good luck...

I really don't know how to get rid of a hawk. Maybe there is a wildlife organization in your area that would know. Because of issues with all sorts of hawks and eagles, here in the past including RSH, I covered all of my pens and don't let the birds free range anymore. A couple of times over the years a hawk killed a bird not 10 feet away from me. It happened so fast I didn't have time to react. Good luck...
They are protected, and my dogs are even too slow getting outside, they are lighting fast, they watch and learn when and monitor our place! I Don't have a problem anymore with them after getting this guy, he wont leave them for a sec! but he is worthless with dog attacks.

Attachments

• IMG_20210218_160326216.jpg
    IMG_20210218_160326216.jpg
    604.9 KB · Views: 30

Back
Top Bottom