Red sore feet

honeythechicken

Songster
6 Years
Jan 1, 2017
England
Hi all,
We have a young bantam rooster, he is at the botttom of the pecking order and much smaller than his brother who is head of the flock. He acts submissive around the other chickens and we've noticed that everytime he jumps and lands, he will make squeaky noises. I feel like his feet are sore and possibly wounded. He has been jumping onto the hard floor everytime he gets off his roost in the mornings, often running away from the large fowl chickens in the flock (legbar and leghorn) and uses the concrete steps at the back of the garden which are too steep for him. I noticed a few days ago the soles of his feet are almost bright red and he's treading lightly on his tippy toes now like he's in pain. What can we do to help ease the discomfort and pain he's in and fix this?
I also want to mention that when I bought him indoors to inspect his feet and soak them in warm water, he sat down for a while just resting in the hallway. Should we bring him indoors everyday to sit down for a while? he seems to like it.
Here's a picture although the redness isn't completely clear in the photo:
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20190917_184015.jpg
    IMG_20190917_184015.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
He has been jumping onto the hard floor everytime he gets off his roost in the mornings
Maybe soften the landing with some shavings or hay? Or lower the roost?

Sometimes the redness we see can be an indicator of hormones. But that would likely be all the way up the legs.

If your'e doing a warm soak... Epsom salt contains magnesium that absorbs through the skin and relaxes muscles and such.

:fl

Maybe soften the landing with some shavings or hay? Or lower the roost?

Sometimes the redness we see can be an indicator of hormones. But that would likely be all the way up the legs.

If your'e doing a warm soak... Epsom salt contains magnesium that absorbs through the skin and relaxes muscles and such.

Okay, I will soak him in the magnesium flakes that I have, I also put hay out to soften his landing
It sorta looks like his feet are a bit puffy. The first thing that crossed my mind was gout.....here is some info about it, it is more common then people realize in chickens - http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/gout
Since he is in the coop asleep, I will check his feet tomorrow, though I'm sure his feet don't actually look that puffy.

Since he is in the coop asleep, I will check his feet tomorrow, though I'm sure his feet don't actually look that puffy.
To me they look the right amount of fatness to match his legs. It would pretty abnormal for a YOUNG bird to have gout like that. I couldn't make put his spurs at all, how young is young? It's awesome though that the other poster is aware of these potential issues and sharing! :thumbsup

Would love to see a pic of the whole bird! :pop

Don't let him drink the soak as it can cause diarrhea. I don't know if it's needed or will help.. but it won't hurt since he seems to be relaxing.

How is this guy's roost situation.
I mean this in the nicest way as a fellow owner of chubby toed chickens they need roosts they can pretty much lay on.
Round ones made my birds feet sore and very slightly puffy not much since they're already chubby but a little.:)
His roost is round but I was thinking about changing it to something like wood planks, would that be okay for him? I also put hay underneath for a softer landing, I will bring him in later for a soak and to rest his feet :)

I let them out just to find him sitting on the floor, I think he might of fallen of the roost :(

Poor buddy! I would try a 2x4 with the wide side being the part they stand on. I think the round ones can get a little slippery. Also- depending on how high the roost is- he might just need a lower perch too.

Back
Top Bottom