Red Star and noise.

Quote:
We don't have any smell issues...we just clean out the coop every so often when it starts to smell, but they are not smelly animals if you know what I mean. We also covered our run so that they have a place to go in the winter that is clean, dry and not muddy. I read somewhere on here that mud isn't good for chickens. I'm still kinda new at this too but I agree with what everyone else said. You're going to love having chickens!

My 3 Red Stars never announce their eggs - they're very nonchalant about it. A couple minutes of alone time in the nest box and they're done and out. One of them will squawk if someone else is using the nest box when she wants it, especially if it's one the the bantams. I think she knows they'll be there a while.

i have a black star and she's a hoot! she "sings" to me (very softly) - long, sustained, soft coooooo's. she's adorable- quite a personality! my nearest neighbor is seriously, 20 ft. from where i have my tractor parked for the winter and they NEVER hear anything (I've asked). i keep them supplied with fresh eggs just in case. I too, love the sounds they make.
love.gif

I don't thnk you can predict, and I don't think it's related to breed. For instance, I have three buttercups. One makes zero noise; one coos softly; and one screams. And when I say she screams, I mean she SCREEEEEAAAAAMMMMMS

We have 4 BSL and are surrounded by neighbours. We were slightly concerned about noise and the possible smell.

We have had them for 3 weeks now and the only noise we get is the neighbours asking when the eggs are coming! Our chickens cackle everynow and again but like someone said about its a nice noice rather then a bad one. Aalso we clean ours out everyday as we do not want the smell issue.

You will love the chickens though and be prepared for the moment ou decide you want to double your flock!
smile.png

Quote:
Okay should I get 4 or 6? I am getting worried that I may be getting to many. Trying to keep the smell and noise down. One week to go before they get here, so should I get the 6? Would someone please tell me yes, it will help ease my mind a little. I just need some encouragement... Let here it.

Back
Top Bottom