Red Star or Buff Orpington?

hezevz

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 26, 2013

Hi everyone!

I'm a first time chick mother. I've had my four babies for a little over a week. They're a handful to take care of, but they're wonderful. I have a Barred Rocks, Buff Orpington, Red Star, and a Silver Laced Wyandotte, all hens. I can easily tell the Barred Rocks from the Wyandotte.

I'm having trouble telling which of my babies is the Buff Orpington and which is my Red Star. Both chicks look pretty similar. One is more of a bright yellow and now that her new adult feathers are growing she's starting to get a little black on her wings. The other is a solid golden brown. She's smaller than the rest too.

Which one is which? Is it too soon to tell?

Thank you so much for your help!

I attached a picture. The yellow one is on the left and the golden is on the right. Sorry about the bad picture quality!

I can't see anything from your pic but I don't think either breed would have black on their wings. I have a red star and she's got white on her wings. Buff orpingtons don't have black either that I know of, but I don't know a whole lot.

Yeah, you can't see the black in the picture. Whenever I get a chance I'm going to try to get a picture of each chick individually. Thanks for responding.

The one on the right looks like it has a pattern on it's back in the pic. If so it is your Red Star. I have raised Golden Comets which is a sex link that is similar or possibly the same as Red Star. Buff Orps are solid color, they have no pattern. I hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom