Red Stars?

Agree with Fred, there are far worse mistakes. For all practical purposes the birds you got will be pretty much the same as the red sex links.

Red Sex-Links pictured above. (RIR x SLW)
Not a speck of white on them. They're shedding out their baby/juvie feathers and are red with black tail feathers.
There are lots of recipes to make red sex links at home, but hatchery birds are pretty much the classic red with white tips and tails.

Production Red. It is more than kinda dishonest, it's just bad business. Although, the PR/RIR will lay longer than the Red Star. I would get my money back and keep the chickens. You got a beautiful flock there, I'd be proud.

It is dishonest of ideal, but we will probably order from them again simply because they are by far the closest (and the cheapest). Thank you!!! :) All our girls are pets. :)

Probably. I'm not terribly mad about it. The one pictured is my 5 year-old brothers favorite. All our girls have been perfectly healthy, except one, who was a "red star", died as a little chick from shipping injuries to her leg. :( Other than that we have been perfectly happy with them. :)

Hard to tell from that picture. I don't know any reputable hatchery that will sell you RI Reds for Red Stars.

But, if you're in doubt, then, next time instead of ordering Red Stars order Black Stars. They're equally good layers and meat chickens.

However, they're obvious that what you're getting is what you ordered as day old chicks. The roosters will have a white spot on the head and maybe some white on the tip of the wings. The hens will be totally black with maybe white on the tips of the wings.

When they're fully grown the roosters will look like a Barred Rock and the hens will be totally black with some red feathers on their chest.

Enjoy your chickens!

Chickens are great therapists and they're cheaper than a shrink!

But, if you're in doubt, then, next time instead of ordering Red Stars order Black Stars. They're equally good layers and meat chickens.

However, they're obvious that what you're getting is what you ordered as day old chicks. The roosters will have a white spot on the head and maybe some white on the tip of the wings. The hens will be totally black with maybe white on the tips of the wings.

When they're fully grown the roosters will look like a Barred Rock and the hens will be totally black with some red feathers on their chest.
X2 on the Black Stars (Black Sex Links). Mine are just as good a layers as my Red Stars have been (even slightly more persistent in really cold winter weather), and they are friendlier than my Red Stars have been. And as BikerMichael pointed out, there's no way they will ever be confused with Production Reds.

I next time we are in the market for layers I think I will get black stars. The "red stars"
are super mean to my favorite hen. She will be scratching in the yard and they will run clear across the yard to peck her on the head. :( They also attack my feet.

Black Stars and Red Stars have the same temperament. Hey, they're animals let's taken them for what they are and use their different qualities to our advantages.

Michael

Enjoy your chickens!
They're great therapists, and cheaper than a shrink.

Back
Top Bottom