Red Tailed Black Cockatoos

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by cameron, Dec 23, 2011.

1. cameron

cameron Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Does anyone know of any reputable breeders for these birds here in the States?

Thanks!

Cam

2. franciscreek

franciscreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Northern California
    There is a guy in florida that has some very nice ones. He raises a bit of everything. If you go to birdbreeder.com you should be able to track him down. He is also on up at six.

3. franciscreek

franciscreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Northern California
    I just looked and he has babies for $17,000

4. cameron

cameron Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Quote:That's it???? Was there a contact number on his site? They won't last long at that price!

Actually, I'm kidding. I just spit my oatmeal all over the phone. I owe that much on my truck.

I spent a month this past summer hunting in Cape York in Australia. Fell in love with these birds when they'd call at dawn every morning. I love exotic birds, but I think ill just enjoy the photos I took of them instead!

Thanks for your legwork, franciscreek!

5. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    They are exceptionally rare here in the USA-- that price isn't out of line, sadly. Maybe that's a good thing, though, as they really take the right kind of person to be happy in captivity.
    Further, they are on the decline and Australia has banned their exportation... so the few that exist in the USA are pretty much the only ones that we will see, making them very valuable. I think that Australia technically lists one of the subspecies as endangered, also. The subspecies c.b. graptogyne has less than 1,000 known individuals left.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by