!#*% ! Red Tailed Hawk

Frannabelle

Songster
10 Years
Jun 1, 2009
MI
My bantam Mama hen attacked and killed by a red tail this afternoon...this is my first predator loss. I could just cry I feel so bad.
It's pretty cold here in Michigan too. It's almost dark out so I went and put the babies under my lonesome broody girl holdout, she let them snuggle under her (I can't believe it!), so maybe she'll take over!

BooHoo

I am sooooo sorry! I lost a silkie chick to one a couple of weeks ago, so I know what you're feeling. When I go to that area I get a bit sad..... hugs!

Thanks!

Kat'sChicks :

I am sooooo sorry! I lost a silkie chick to one a couple of weeks ago, so I know what you're feeling. When I go to that area I get a bit sad..... hugs!​

I'm so sorry for your loss. Is that the hen that you lost in that photo or the broody? That's a really cute photo. I saw it in the baby chicks forum.

Yes, that's her. She is the same girl I posted the other day in the baby chicks forum
Thanks for the thought!

Quote:

I was going to comment on how adorable she looked with that little chick hanging out the day you posted it. Now, I'm twice as sad. Looks like she was a good broody.
hit.gif
hit.gif

Last edited:
I'm so sorry. Hate hawks. One came and landed on my fence, looking around at my birds in broad daylight. My dog charged it and it took off.

She was a beautiful chicken.
sad.png

Hopefully the babies will be ok with the other hen.

So sorry for your loss. I lost a duck last year to a migrating red-tail, so this year I am being very cautious. I am hoping not to be posting a story similar to yours this year. Hope the babies do well with their new mom.

I just checked on the babies, my broody girl has taken them under wing! I hope when they wake up tomorrow morning, she just thinks she hatched them out!

Back
Top Bottom