1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RED TASSELS ON CORN

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by 3forfree, Aug 8, 2014.

1. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    Planted a block of sweet corn this year, and as the tassels emerged they were bright red, I have another block in another garden about 50ft away and the tassels are a blond color. Never had this happen before. Both gardens used the same seed.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  2. Fluffnpuff

Fluffnpuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Did you mean to say silks instead of tassels? Regardless it could be one of several things. Did you by chance plant another type of corn that it cross pollinated with? Cross pollination does interesting things sometimes. If cross pollination at your location is ruled out it could be the seeds themselves were labeled incorrectly or the plant they came from was accidentally cross pollinated.

Another possibility is that the breed you selected has a great deal of variability itself. A perfect example of that would be painted mountain corn which gives all sorts of colors. What type of corn is it?

3. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    I did mean silks. Seed was bought at a big box store, brand is Burpee super sweet sunshine hybrid. I planted corn from the same package in 2 different gardens on my property, the other corn has white silk, turning black as we speak,.since I took the pic of the red silk, they have all turned white, and are turning black now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by