Red vs White light

Chickenmama77

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 14, 2012
Getting ready for first batch of my new baby chicks, my older girls I adopted. I am curious between using a red or white light for my brooder pen ( large,clear Tupperware bin, 4 chicks) Any helpful advice for my new baby girls would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Red seems to keep my birds more calm and helped prevent feather picking.

Red is preferred but it can be hard to find a low enough wattage red bulb for a plastic bin. Perhaps one of the $30 reptile bulbs or a ceramic heat emitter but not everyone wants to spend that sort of money on a heat lamp. And it's definitely better to use white light than roast your peeps with a 250W bulb just because it's red. So, if you can find a 100W red bulb that ISN'T coated for shatter-resistance, buy it. Otherwise, use white light and know that the chicks will most likely be fine.

Tha
Red is preferred but it can be hard to find a low enough wattage red bulb for a plastic bin. Perhaps one of the $30 reptile bulbs or a ceramic heat emitter but not everyone wants to spend that sort of money on a heat lamp. And it's definitely better to use white light than roast your peeps with a 250W bulb just because it's red. So, if you can find a 100W red bulb that ISN'T coated for shatter-resistance, buy it. Otherwise, use white light and know that the chicks will most likely be fine.

I actually use the white light during the day and then at night use a 75 watt reptile heat bulb, it was like 8 bucks on amazon.com. I have also used a heat pad, I put down the heat pad on the bottom of the brooder, covered it with paper towels and then put shavings over that. They seemed to really enjoy that, they dusted bath in the shaving right over it and then stretch out on it and relax.

I'm using 75 watt red reptile light that I bought on Amazon as well. It keeps the temp very warm and the birds to sleep nicely with it. I think I'm going to have to find a lower watt soon though because it gives off quite a bit of heat and my lamp is already at its highest.

Back
Top Bottom