Red light & Garage too hot

Erin Michiels

Hatching
Jun 9, 2023
So my chicks are about 4-5 weeks old and they are in a brooder in my garage. My garage was pretty hot today/this evening. And with the red light on them i could tell that they were hot cause they were on the edge of the stock tank as far as they could go. So i turned off the red heat lamp. Because of how warm it already was With the garage being like 85 and humid!

Is this ok? I don’t want them to get too cold. The garage is is usually warm.Not sure what to do for the summer?! I just don’t want to make the wrong decision.

At 4-5 weeks, they shouldn't need any additional heating. My artificial raised ducklings barely have any additional heat and they're only 2-3 weeks right now. Their area is roughly 65- 70 at night and at least low 60s in the day when they're outside.

Your chixks should be fully feathered, which would mean they can control their own temperature as long as it's not a sudden change

At 4-5 weeks, they shouldn't need any additional heating. My artificial raised ducklings barely have any additional heat and they're only 2-3 weeks right now. Their area is roughly 65- 70 at night and at least low 60s in the day when they're outside.

Your chixks should be fully feathered, which would mean they can control their own temperature as long as it's not a sudden change

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I didn’t realize that they are fully feathered at this early in the weeks. I thought they don’t get fully feathered until they are 7-8 weeks.
Still learning about this chick life!

x2, turn off the heat. I have 4 week olds off heat at mid 40s, and you're well above that. Heat is deadlier to chickens than cold - chicks need relief from it even more than adults, as they cannot regulate their own body temperatures as well.

Same here.

I have chicks outside integrating into the coop no later than 5 weeks even in the winter with night lows in the 40's.

I brood outdoors, which helps them adapt to whatever the weather is at the time.

Go ahead and start getting them accustomed to the outside temperatures so they can move into their coop. :)

if its warm weather they can go outside in a covered wire pen in a shady spot at about 2 weeks .. i'll drape a sheet around it and clip it on so it has an inch or so gap at the bottom, but they can get up on perches out of the draft .. then daily just move the pen to a diffefent spot and hose it all in so it stays tidy ... but yeah, warm summer weather, no need for a brooder other than the first couple weeks ...

Back
Top Bottom