Red Wine & Old Roosters AKA Coq Au Vin

Thank you for posting this recipe! We were determined to make good use of our 5-year old rooster and frustrated by only finding modified recipes for roasting chickens. It turned out a hundred times better than we could have imagined - delicious and soft meat. Because I only found this recipe the night before our dinner I also had to modify it for the time, here are some changes I made, maybe someone else will find it encouraging to try!

- used one rooster instead of two, mostly halved the recipe except used the same amount of cognac to flambé - I have never done that before, it worked!
- skipped the bouillion entirely and replaced it with vegetable stock later
- we did marinate the whole rooster cut into chunks in one bottle of red wine, garlic, pepper, onion, carrot marinade overnight.
- when I braised the meat in bacon fat it was so hard I couldn't get the fork in to turn it; it was like a solid rubber mass. I nearly gave up. Don't.
- skipped the flouring while we were braising the meat and then after we lit the cognac and burned the alcohol off transferred everything into a pressure cooker (minus the extra fat so it doesn't clog the pressure cooker, saved that), with the wine marinade, dehydrated mushrooms, and added vegetable stock to bring it to 2/3 full, cooked it at high pressure for 3 hours.
- it was soft! but the meat didn't have much flavor so I added a whole head more garlic, onions, celery, peppercorns, and salt and brought it back up to pressure for another hour. Made a huge difference.
- transferred the meat to a cassarole dish and then in another pan made a rue with very finely diced bacon, the extra fat from braising, and two tablespoons flour. whisk it until it makes a paste, added a can of diced mushrooms, another a little bit at a time a half bottle of red wine, and all the liquid from the pressure cooker slowly stirring until it reduced and thickened. seasoned with salt and fresh parsley.

It was a super success, the meat was tender and completely delicious and the sauce is sooo rich. It was a lot of work but we modified it to two days (including killing and cleaning the rooster); definitely a good idea to do the cooking the day before or at least in the morning.

Thanks again!

Am in the process of trying this with 2 young roosters - we had a lot due to an unfortunate gender distribution when the girls keep sitting their eggs. We've culled others before and tried making regular soup or stew and it's flavorful but always tough and stringy. So hopefully this recipe will be worth all the effort. The author doesn't say anything about using the solids from the bouillon process. Any thoughts on that?

Back
Top Bottom