Redneck AC for chickens!!!

Thanks, so much! How many of those fans do you have in the coop? You've put my mind to rest.....one more solution to my 1000 questions!! The coop and run will be under the trees so that'll help somewhat but I'll follow your advice to the letter.
I have 2 roost level and 2 at the highest point of the coop so 4 total. I have 2 extra for my chick grow out coop, but I haven’t installed those yet.

so....breezes blowing on the girls is OK? even at night when they roost as well as pointed at the nesting boxes? I was thinking of a couple of these mounted up high in my shed to coop conversion.....thoughts?
Yes, during a hot summer and during the “heat” of the day; my girls love having the fans on them. I use them on hot summer nights too; they really do appreciate the cool breeze. I’m talking about little 5” wide battery charging camping fans, not big 18” barn fans or anything …

I don’t use them at all in the winter time. And, I only run the exhaust fan when needed during the winter.

Photo Example Attached —

Attachments

• IMG_0251.jpeg
    IMG_0251.jpeg
    41.2 KB · Views: 3
I use these exhaust fans; they are fantastic! My chickens dust bathe in the coop because I have coarse sand for litter, and the fans totally hold up to the dust. In the winter, I use the fans on the lowest setting (variable speed 1-10) to vent out any ammonia and moisture (respiration and droppings). For summer, it helps with the extreme heat and humidity too.

As to your question, chickens don’t like breezes on the roost unless it is extremely hot. I’m in Texas, the heat in the summer can be 92* at night. That’s when the chickens don’t mind the breeze while roosting. That said, otherwise they don’t want a breeze on them while roosting.

The exhaust fan can be placed high above their heads, when roosting, so not to cause a breeze on them.

I do have some placed low so that I can have breeze on them while they’re roosting… but this only during extreme heat at night.

I’ve included some pics of the exhaust fans installed at roost level to help with the extreme heat. However, don’t use the roost level fans at other times of the year. I have exhaust fans at the highest point of the coop for use all year round.
Yes! These fans are perfect!!! They don’t allow rain to get in either 👍🏼

Yes, during a hot summer and during the “heat” of the day; my girls love having the fans on them. I use them on hot summer nights too; they really do appreciate the cool breeze. I’m talking about little 5” wide battery charging camping fans, not big 18” barn fans or anything …

I don’t use them at all in the winter time. And, I only run the exhaust fan when needed during the winter.

Photo Example Attached —
Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom