Redneck AC for chickens!!!

Atchurch

Songster
Mar 13, 2023
So it's gotten up to 113° here in North Central Texas already and been over 100° for 5 weeks, with a little rain last night. But being born and raised here, I knew that rain storm was just gonna make it even hotter today! And it did!

I have a fan and mister in the chicken run, at separate ends, so they can get into the mist, but when they go eat, they're on the fan-generated wind. It's not really humid right now because there's just zero water in our atmosphere. BRUTAL! And the coop is under mature trees, the run has tarps, and all those things to keep my sweet birds protected from the sun. We put the vitamins in a small waterer every 3 days to keep their vitamin D up.

All that said to say that IT'S STILL FREAKIN' HOT! Their coop is pretty well ventilated but in THIS Texas heat...it's just not enough. So I googled Chicken AC just to see what came up.

These chicken people are geniuses! So now, I'm gonna get the crappy old cooler that is gross with weird rust spots (didn't know plastic rusted. LOL) that we'll never use anymore...cut a hole in the side, and dump our frozen gel bags in it, put the fan in front of the hole and set it all up outside the run so they can't get to it. But it will help them tremendously!

Now just gotta figure out how to pipe that into their coop at night. We rigged up a fan on a ladder outside the biggest window to seriously increase airflow. But the nights are still close to 100°!

Happy AC-ing!!! 😁🤣

I
Saw a good design where a small fan was mounted on the cooler hole and another 4-6" pvc pipe was also mounted to a hole for an exhaust.

Saw a good design where a small fan was mounted on the cooler hole and another 4-6" pvc pipe was also mounted to a hole for an exhaust.
I saw that one, too! But, for immediacy sake, we can do the hole in the side right now. Maybe when it cools down a little, we do that. It's so hot, we can't work out there for more than 30 min. We have a couple of old coolers in the shed.

Back
Top Bottom