Red's and no Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tojo555, Aug 21, 2011.

1. tojo555

tojo555 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2011
    greensboro nc
    My RR'S are 6 months old and still no egg's. could there be a problem?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If you are letting them outside to free range it wouldn't hurt to have an easter egg hunt in case they've decided to lay somewhere other than the coop, but no I don't see a problem. What are you feeding them?

3. callahanfarmgirl

callahanfarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Callahan
    I have 3 RR's. 4 months, 6 months & a yr. old My yr. old didn't lay till she was about 7 1/2 months!!!! Hang in there.

4. Percysmom

Percysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I have a toy fox terrier, a cat, 2 turtles and now a Rhode Island Red chicken. It is 5 months and hasn't laid eggs yet either.

5. pippsqueak

pippsqueak Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Grants Pass
    I have four hens 2 RIR and 2 Ameraucanas, all are 5 months old. My larger RIR, Lucy, just laid her first egg yesterday. I'm thinking that after reading a lot of posts, it seems that they are laying later and later this year. Not sure why but, when my Rhodie decided to lay yesterday morning you could definitely tell she was. Just listen for the crazy noises in the morning, then you will find an egg pretty soon afterwards. [​IMG] Good Luck!

6. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I thought things were wrong with my chickens too when I coulnd't find any eggs. Turns out some are just really, REALLY late bloomers. The record for me is 40 weeks. There is still hope [​IMG]

7. F106A

F106A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Texas Big Country
    Is it true that once Reds do start laying they do it with a vengence?! I have six, four-and-a-half month old production reds, and am not really expecting eggs quite yet. (My five-month old BRs have just started laying, however.)

8. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Do you intense heat where you are? If so, this could be causing a delay. My Delaware even stopped laying for a bit because of the heat, but thankfully she's back to an egg a day.

9. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    Yes I pretty much get an egg a day from all RIR hens. They started at 5 months but it was cool then. Not so much with my NHRs.

10. Ardizzone7

Ardizzone7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Redkey, IN
    I am curious about this too. My RIR and ISA Browns were purchased the first week of March and still are not laying. We will hold an Easter egg hunt tomorrow. Maybe they are hiding them. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by