Redtail(I think) punctured ducks cheek this a.m.

chooniecat

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
central ohio
Husband came in saying he had seen Redtail(I ? this tho) strike behind one of our structures then I couldn't find Princess, the WH duck. Drake, the Call drake was wandering around(how smart) while all chickens had hidden and I found Princess sitting vewy vewy quietly hiding in chic shed. She has 1 small cheek wound and was terrified to come out so I chased them back to their kennel. Will have to investigate if there is ANY way to discourage larger hawks. Won't hold my breath. Now I want to put covered tunnels to the barn,etc. I can't but you want to keep your flock from being terrified!!!!!

Last edited:
Picture no clear enough but a weasel make similar wounds as shown. I discourage hawks with cover, adult roosters that will fight hawk if it comes into cover, and most importantly dogs that go out of their way to chase anything, including hawks, that stirs the birds up. First to methods can be almost immediately realized although dog takes a couple years and is expensive.

It WAS the hawk I just question my hubs thought that it was Redtail. Doesn't really matter what kind of hawk, I guess, but I have no clue if hawks can be discouraged easily.

Back
Top Bottom