Reducing duck flock size. Best way to not upset hens?

jmurno

Chirping
Jul 9, 2022
Vermont
HI all! I have 3 khaki campbell drakes and 2 hens. They are about 12-13 weeks old now and it is time for the drakes to go. I don't plan on hatching anytime soon so I am going to butcher all 3 drakes. I want the transition to be as stress free for the hens as possible. Does anyone have any experience? Any advice? Will the hens care if 3 of their flock disappear? Will they be upset? Is it better to process the drakes all at once or one a week or something like that?

Thanks!

There is not a whole lot you can do to make it less stessful. With a smaller flock, they will notice the loss of the other ducks more. You may find them a bit more nervous the first day. They will be a bit subdued for a little while, but eventually they will move on. Some ducks move on faster than others. Treats and spending time with them will help.

X2 on the advice above. I also try to keep the dinner guests as calm as possible while I'm removing them and make sure that none of the flock sees any evidence of the death. When it works, the rest of the flock doesn't fear me at all. When it doesn't, it takes a few days to a week of bribery to bring them back to my side.

Back
Top Bottom