Reducing feed cost

Thanks everyone, the tips have been great! I've been able to organise for food scraps from a restaurant, and am getting my second lot of scraps today. I have also been selling some of the younger ones that are going to be pullets soon, and i have been letting them out to free range as well. I haven't counted up recent costs yet, but they have definitely been more satisfied and not so hungry the last few days (bonus!). The mites are still winning the battle atm, though soon I will be treating them with something stronger and then move them into their metal chicken tractors and keep treating them from there. Thank you for all your help, I will keep you posted!

Update: most problems solved, two flocks out in the paddock with their tractors, doing great, and most excess chickens sold, and we're getting a good supply of chicken scraps from a restaurant (yay!). Still struggling with the mites, but we're getting there. Thank you for all your help!

I am lazy, and have a lot of chickens, so a couple of times a week at breakfast I carry a large spray bottle filled with baby oil, and a drop or two of tea tree. As they are focused on their breakfast I blast them; legs, feathers, whatever. It has made a huge difference in external parasites. They do look a little dusty for a few days where the oil has coated their feathers but then they look fabulous, dahling. Take care not to get it in their eyes, of course.

Back
Top Bottom