Reducing Mottled Chest

FrankPrize

Songster
Jul 20, 2018
I have two BBR Phoenixes & 6 eggs in the incubator right now. My Cockerel is about 10 months old and he’s a beaut but I’m worried about his breast/chest; it’s speckled with white feathers. Show-quality Phoenixes are hard to get a hold of here since there’s only one breeder—that I know of— and she’s where I sourced my birds from. How can I selectively breed towards a totally black breast/chest? If I were to pluck the white feathers, would they grow in black? He had white feathers on his main tail and they grew in black after I plucked them.
9900D9F7-DAAA-40DE-9669-F47F75E9EFDF.jpeg

16160529-7D27-4714-9D98-9FB4248D4A01.jpeg

Firstly, I do not support plucking feathers by any means.

The white here is caused by mottling. It is a recessive gene requiring two copies to express, therefore he is pure for mottling. If bred to a clean Black-Red, their offspring will carry the gene unseen, but will be carriers. You may then breed those offspring back to clean Black-Reds again for half carrier, half clean offspring, but you may not be able to tell the difference between the two. Although some white tipping may appear in carriers of mottling, some may show no indication that they have the gene.

Firstly, I do not support plucking feathers by any means.

The white here is caused by mottling. It is a recessive gene requiring two copies to express, therefore he is pure for mottling. If bred to a clean Black-Red, their offspring will carry the gene unseen, but will be carriers. You may then breed those offspring back to clean Black-Reds again for half carrier, half clean offspring, but you may not be able to tell the difference between the two. Although some white tipping may appear in carriers of mottling, some may show no indication that they have the gene.
Is there a way of BBR exhibits a mottled gene?

The white is the mottling gene expressing. It is the same gene found in any mottled variety.
Sorry, I meant BBR hens— I understand a cock exhibiting it on his breast & tail because that’s where all the black’s located but what about on a hen? BBR hens don’t really exhibit black.

Back
Top Bottom