1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Redwood Incubators - Information, help, for sale and wanted

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rainwolf, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    The original finish was a lacquer of some sort, I used tung oil on mine on the outside.

2. Uisge

Uisge Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    Pinehurst, TX
    Nope, didn't call anyone. Was really hoping to have somebody answer here, ideally more than one somebody. Hopefully that way multiple options and success stories might arise and that way the information would be available go forward for people to find via a web search. I have really been kind of surprised how difficult it has been to find good information online.

There looks to be the slightest remnant of a finish on mine but it was a very light finish. I have been cleaning it up in the process wiping it down and scrubbing with mineral spirits. It's amazing how much prettier it looks when wet and how the wood really "pops".

Regards,

-Scott

3. Uisge

Uisge Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    Pinehurst, TX
    I take it you were happy with the results?

I have been leaning toward Tung Oil finish as I already have it on hand and use it a lot for other projects. It's also something that would have been available long years ago when the unit was built

I really hadn't considered lacquer and looking closely at the remnants of what is there and what is coming off when I wipe everything down, I think your right and it may have been a lacquer. Obviously that another finish that has been around forever and easy enough to obtain.

Thanks for the input!

-Scott

4. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    Yes I am happy with the way it turned out. :) Once I have my back porch done and the space to take a photo I will. The nice one (leahy made for sears) is the one that I use as living room couch end table as well as a incubator. The knock off one works great, it is just not pretty so It will go back to the porch to be used there rather then my living room. I also repainted the inside with a metallic silver oil base paint to match the original. But I let it off gas for 4-5 months before I even heated it up again and then I let it run for a month empty with water (humidity tray) and made sure there would be no ill affects. I had to make a thin "pan" for the bottom since the tin was rotted away in some places from the egg sulfur of not being cleaned enough, and I had to make my own water tray since the original was gone when I bought it. I've replaced all the inside wiring, fan, heating and etc since none of it was original when I bought it. I used the ugly one with all original parts to guide my rebuild. My hardware store is now used to me making strange requests :D and the electric store thinks I'm nuts but are always willing to help me find this or that to replace this or that lol. It is amazing how much things have changed in even something as simple as the metal switch box. It will be at least a few months before I can take a photo since I'm building my porch, greenhouse, setting up my garden and aquaponics system and well there is this silly thing of a day job too :/

5. Tammy N

Tammy N Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Florence Oregon
    How does the tongue oil work with the heat ?
    does it have vapors as mine in in the house and we have Parrots

6. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Day 20 in the Monster-Bator and I hear 2 distinct peeps- Likely from the banties that were under a hen 1 day. Cannot see a thing in the trays. Thanks to advice here, I have placed 4 Rubbermaid plastic trays on the tile to replace the missing water tray: 3 @ 6x15 and then 1 long narrow one. This fills the entire area that the tray would fill. I have PILES of sponges in them because the humidity would only get to 40 % without them. It is running 53% at the moment.
    I will say these redwoods are NOT the thing for people who want to sit and watch or hover. Time to go do something else:)

7. maryhysong

maryhysong Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Claypool, Arizona
    yes, kind of hard to watch the hatch in these, unless the babies are on the bottom, then a bit easier. Of course getting _down_ that low to stick my nose on the glass is almost as hard as getting back up again!

8. Tammy N

Tammy N Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Florence Oregon
    I use a Flash light LOL i have only used middle shelves but darn it its fun

9. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    36 hours later and we are still hatching..... very slowly. We have about a dozen each of the banties and marans with a some still pipping. We quickly opened things last evening, this morning and tonight to remove hatchlings to the brooders, turn next week's hatch, add more HOT water, spray warm water on the sides, etc.. I DO love the way these things hold the heat and humidity.
    We notice the hatchlings make their way to the back of the trays. Anyone want to venture a guess why? We need to bring the trays ALL the way out to check for chicks.
    Adding more SUPERHOT water to the trays helps snap the humidity back up = more evaporation.
    I expect this hatch to continue overnight and maybe into day 22.
    Banties are hatching well. We had a lot pulled for fertility. The marans are giving me the usual problems and I really wish I knew the secret to hatching them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by