Redwood Incubators - Information, help, for sale and wanted

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rainwolf, Mar 17, 2012.

1. maryhysong

maryhysong Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Claypool, Arizona
    That one isn't for an incubator; it's for brooding chicks; I think there should be a surround that should go along with it, to keep the heat in but let the chicks go in and out to the food and water. Some of the turn of the century poultry books talk about them.

1 person likes this.
  2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Another question as we near lockdown in the monster incubator: Should i still be aiming for 50% humidity for lockdown? It holds 16 % with no water added. After adding water, it reaches 28% for a few hours.
    What humidity does everyone use in these?

Candled tonight at the 2 week point. Many infertile bantam eggs but the marans and the olives look good. We always have problems with sticky chicks drowning in the marans eggs, whether broody or incubator hatched.

3. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop

I have good hatches at 40-50% humidity... if I need to push humidity just add in "wicks" to the water tray. such as sponges or anthing the has lots of surface area and brings up the humidity.

4. they'reHISchickens

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Thanks Rainwolf.
    We are still using the cookie sheet but DSIL has 1 more week to manufacture our water tray. I have sponges stockpiled and expect to use them to boost humidity but I just couldnt' foresee getting to 65% like I have used in the LG. 40-50% seems more doable.

5. Tammy N

Tammy N Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Florence Oregon
    Help My great nephew turned the Nob And it got to 115 for how long i do not know but Eggs where well done,

how to reset temp ?

6. maryhysong

maryhysong Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Claypool, Arizona
    I've been having a hard time getting mine past 30%-40%. Realized that the replacement board I put in the top was 3 inches short of the cleats that held the original water pan; so got that closed up.

Found plastic drawer organizers, 6x15 inches. The space is 17.75x17.75, so three fit just fine down the length and I staggered them since they didn't fit tight in the width. Added a dozen cheap kitchen sponges standing on their edges. Got the humidity up to 50%. I think if I added another dozen sponges I might get to 60-65 and maybe I won't have any more shrinkwrapped chicks

7. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    Monitor the temperature as the unit warms up. Just before it arrives at your desired temperature turn the knob clockwise until the plot light just clicks off. Lock it down at this point and let the thermostat cycle off and on a few times to see where you are. Small adjustments from here on, clockwise for cooler, counterclockwise for warmer, until you have it right where you want it.

1 person likes this.
  8. they'reHISchickens

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Maryhsong.. thank you! I know those plastic trays! Will head to Dollar store when this darn snow stops............ if it ever stops. Our 18x18 tile is 3 inches short of the cleat ends too but I extended the cookie sheet somewhat into the void. I like the idea of the tile being somewhat of a heat sink.

9. Uisge

Uisge Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    Pinehurst, TX
    OK, no thoughts on what to use to finish it?

way have others used?

Inside and out? or just the outside?

I am leaning towards a tung oil finish on the outside just because I have that on hand.

Or perhaps no finish at all and just a Howards Feed and Wax or an Old English Oil.

Thoughts?

-Scott

10. Tammy N

Tammy N Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Florence Oregon
    I do not think my Leahy has a finish . Did you call Don ?
    I gave you the link he would know

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by