Redwood Incubators - Information, help, for sale and wanted

Pics
Based on your info, 5.5 hours! Someone tell me what this thing is worth! HAHA then I'll know if I should sell it! LOL
wink.png
I have very limited experience with these, but I can tell you I have been searching craigslist nationwide for about 5 months. I have seen them for sale anywhere from $75 - $500. I think it does depend on the condition, original infrastructure, working vs non, etc. I saw one in Iowa a few months ago that was in awesome condition and working (or so they say) for $125. Was willing to drive up to get it, but it was sold before I was able to make contact with the guy.

does anybody know of any Redwoods for sale in or around New England?? im currently looking for a couple in any condition thanks! also how do you folks search craigslist for them?

Seems odd, the leahy in MD you posted a month ago is still advertised. They would sell in about 30 minutes around here.
Any ideas what people did years ago instead of buying humidity pads?
Does anyone know of any old time books written on hatching eggs, back in the days these beauties were built?

Seems odd, the leahy in MD you posted a month ago is still advertised. They would sell in about 30 minutes around here.
Any ideas what people did years ago instead of buying humidity pads?
Does anyone know of any old time books written on hatching eggs, back in the days these beauties were built?

In my Leahy 624, there is a slot above all of the hatching trays that a very big metal pan would rest on, full of water. I don't think that the pan was more than 1 1/2 inches tall. After you filled it with water, then placed it where the fan was blowing air across the water, that would create a Humidifier effect, causing the humidity to rise and stay pretty high. Unfortunately, most people that had the metal pan for their incubator probably lost it, or it got rusted, and started leaking. Cheap Metal+water= rusty, hole filled water pan! I don't assume that the water pans lasted for very long. I would love to get my hands on one, or even a replica of the original pan.

In my Leahy 624, there is a slot above all of the hatching trays that a very big metal pan would rest on, full of water. I don't think that the pan was more than 1 1/2 inches tall. After you filled it with water, then placed it where the fan was blowing air across the water, that would create a Humidifier effect, causing the humidity to rise and stay pretty high. Unfortunately, most people that had the metal pan for their incubator probably lost it, or it got rusted, and started leaking. Cheap Metal+water= rusty, hole filled water pan! I don't assume that the water pans lasted for very long. I would love to get my hands on one, or even a replica of the original pan.
Here is my solution in my David Bradley

These are Rubbermaid drawer organizers that are about 2" tall and come in different sizes. I have three large ones which filled most of the space, then a long skinny one and a little square one, this completely fills the space where the original water pan sat. Then there are about 37 cellulose kitchen sponges from the dollar store in there. This is for hatching. I found that other sponges, like for washing cars and such have too small of holes and don't draw up and evaporate the water like the cheap ones do.

During incubation there are no sponges in it and I just fill one large tray with water. This keeps it between 20 and 30% relative humidity, depending on the ambient (which is normally 10-16%) on about the 19th or 20th day I fill all the trays with water and put in the sponges which bumps it to about 65%.

The trays were a bit pricy but should last forever and are easy to clean and disinfect.

Last edited:
I like this idea. I would like to find a big plastic tray that would fit well in my incubator, I wish I knew how to weld aluminum, I would definitely attempt to make my own metal tray that fit in the top slot of my incubator.

Copper would be the way to build a pan, easy to solder, and the natural antimicrobial properties are free. Ever notice how you can see the coins in a public fountain? It's the copper and silver keeping the water clear.
Anyone tried a frogger or other ultrasonic humidity pump?

Back
Top Bottom