Reeve's questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickpoo

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 25, 2010
Was wondering if anyone that keeps reeve's pheasant could chime in. Have been thinking about buying a couple chicks and wanted to know how noisy they are? Could not find any youtube videos of there breeding call and wanted to know if it was lower than a chicken rooster call. Anyone?

Also I've heard these attack humans? How true is this? Thanks!

Last edited:
The call is loud kinda, but doesn't sound like anything you've ever heard, and yes they are aggressive, you have to be careful with the hens. Also they will attack you if you turn your back on them, I've also had them grab the bill of my hat. But they are so pretty, and one of my favorite pheasants.

We have 6 breeding male reeves and none are agressive. I have seen reeves mlaes that were agressive towards caretakers- but have never seen a reeves hen aggressive towards caretakers.

They do have a louder call which they do while fanning (druming) there wings. Our Reeves do not make nearly the noise that chcikens make.

i just got a trio of them i have seen videos on youtube were they attack people but i guess its like anything else its all in how you raise it.

Very rare to have a non-aggressive male Reeves.
Even ones in the wild are aggressive.

This long tail species does better in large aviaries.

When I was talking about the hens, you have to make sure he doesn't kill them, the hens are none aggressive toward people.

40112_birds_5_022.jpg
[/img]

The males will kill chicks thats for sure.

i also have an non aggersive male that will eat out of my hand dont know how rare it is however but i donthink they have a call

Quote:
Must be a young one then. After keeping them for several years then you may have information to add.

Odd thing about the internet. A person may post what they think is years of experience and in reality is nothing more than a couple years, at most.

Reeves have a wide range of vocabulary.

actually Reeves this male is going on 6 yrs old and i have had him that long as well, sure they have squeks, hums and chatter but no loud call like a golden. im well aware of their mean side but some lines are not aggersive and some are just because you have not had a nice one dosnt meen they arent out their you may actually have 50 yrs experience i dont know, but you dont know it all nor all the facts pheasnts are wild animal with their own personaltys,and each their own induvidual with a mind of their own dont you know that or do you. some are aggersive some not just because you have had aggersive or non aggesive birds dosnt mean some one else cant have the oppisite personaltity my first yellow gold was a teddy bear my next one is not so nice. i had a silver that wanted to kill me now i have one that will eat out of my hand and is calm

another odd thing about internet it makes it so easy for some one to discredit someone else with knowing very little about them and their experience (i know my experince and thats all i care about you can say im liying i dont care i know im telling the truth). then that person will act like they know it all i dont know if you actually have 50 yrs experience you might?????? some things just dont add up right?

i was not dis crediting you or the books before either just stressing that your ideas as well as the authors of the books ideas are only opinions nothing more, you can think like that but not everyone will .

all i want is for people to know birds are not set in stone each bird is different and keeping them is not set in stone either

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom