Reforming an aggressive rooster (project)

I don't think following you is a good sign. Generally that means they are looking to attack you from behind?
Might be, and I'm keeping an eye on it. To this point, however, he has never attacked me from an upright position. Always crouched or pecking, usually but not always eyeing me sideways.

His attitude is very different with this following. I see this from the pullets all the time, it seems to be "give me treats," although not necessarily a request! :) Very upright and excited, but no growling.

Might be, and I'm keeping an eye on it. To this point, however, he has never attacked me from an upright position. Always crouched or pecking, usually but not always eyeing me sideways.

His attitude is very different with this following. I see this from the pullets all the time, it seems to be "give me treats," although not necessarily a request! :) Very upright and excited, but no growling.
Everything in this thread makes me think you are dealing with feed-bucket aggression. Sometimes, even hens will do it. If that is the case, then then corrective measure I would follow is more time in chicken area where feed is not applied. That will break association birds have between you and appearance of fresh feed.

Everything in this thread makes me think you are dealing with feed-bucket aggression. Sometimes, even hens will do it. If that is the case, then then corrective measure I would follow is more time in chicken area where feed is not applied. That will break association birds have between you and appearance of fresh feed.
I had thought of that, but I don't usually feed them when they're present. I put their food in the run before I open the pop door, and put down the leftovers before I let them out to free range.

Until this last few weeks they haven't even gotten treats. I have never fed them by hand.

Although possibly it could be leftovers from his old owners. I don't know how they handled feeding.

I had thought of that, but I don't usually feed them when they're present. I put their food in the run before I open the pop door, and put down the leftovers before I let them out to free range.

Until this last few weeks they haven't even gotten treats. I have never fed them by hand.

Although possibly it could be leftovers from his old owners. I don't know how they handled feeding.
From what you described so far; they are associating you with food.

From what you described so far; they are associating you with food.
It might be. I don't know.

Today he crowed while I was outside (hasn't done that in a while) and charged me when my back was turned. He backed off rather comically and didn't make contact. I suspect he's getting his nerve up for another tiff.

Still, the last few attacks have been without spurs, and this time he broke off with no action from me. Whatever the cause, things are shifting.

It just occurred to me that I wasn't clear on one of my earlier posts. I mentioned that "things are shifting," but I didn't clarify.

When training, anyone and anything, for any reason, it is either to instill new habits (initial training) or to overcome existing habits that aren't acceptable for whatever reason.

Those habits are likely to be deeply entrenched and inflexible. When related behaviors start to change, positive or negative, it means the habit is no longer serving its purpose and the trainee is stretching toward new behaviors.

This is exactly what I want. Considering that we've reached this point in a relatively short time, it tells me that the behavior may be more opportunistic than habitual (makes sense, since his old owners documented aggression only toward other roosters, never toward people) and may be easier to change.

Back
Top Bottom