Refridgerated Eggs?

DURR

Songster
7 Years
Dec 17, 2012
Screven, GA, US
Ok so I have just purchased a dozen of eggs from a local enthusiest. But she ended up refridgerating them. They have been in the fridge a total of 24 hours. How would I go about hatching these guys? I checked one and it was fertile. Should I let them come to room tempature and let them dry off naturally ( they have condisation on them) then place them in the incubator? I think I may have some double yolkers too they are HUGE and quite long.

If there is concern about double yolks, candle them before setting them. You should be able to see 2 yolks floating around inside. Double yolkers generally don't make it to hatch date, and if they do, they hatch weak and often die.

Let them warm up to room temp. I would let them sit at least 12 hours and then incubate as normal. With the really cold temps right now, I don't see how them being refridgerated for 24 hours is any more hurtful than eggs being laid in really cold weather and then allowed to sit in a nest box until they are collected.

We gathered eggs for hatch around New Years. The eggs were near freezing despite our attempts to collect them in a timely fashion. We put those in the staging area. We still have 4 or 5 "slots" open in the incubator, so I though, What the heck? Why not? I grabbed 4 or 5 eggs from the fridge. Didn't candle or anything.

Wouldn't you know it? Got a great hatch all around, including those eggs from the fridge.

Truth is? You never know. Sometimes times things work out and sometimes, they don't. What'd ya gonna do?

Alright! Can't beat a dollar a dozen anyways! :) lol. They are going to be all sorts of brown egg layers covered by an EE roo. So they hope fully wl give me some nice OE's. :)

My first ever hatch was store bout eggs out of a refridgerator and I got a really good hatch rate considering all the factors against me. I let the egg get to room temp before I put them in the bator, other than that I don't think I did anything special.

Back
Top Bottom