Refrigerating Eggs???

I leave mine on the countertop for several days, but could leave them for a couple of weeks. I figure that if a hen lays an egg a day until she gets 8 to 10 in the nest before sitting on them, I've got the same amount of time. In other words, her eggs have been sitting out in the heat and/or cold for 10 days and they're still in good enough shape to develop into a chick.

And many chefs don't refrigerate eggs at all. They're better for cooking at room temperature.

Kathy, Bellville TX
www.CountryChickens.com, www.AustinCountyBB.com

Hi,

You probably don't have to, but I refrigerate my eggs within a day or two. But that's right after I wash them (another subject with differing opinions), as washing does reduce their ability to keep fresh. It removes the protective "bloom" coating that the hen deposits on the eggs when they are laid.

It's just my personal feeling, but I don't like to keep eggs at room temperature too long and I also don't like to put dirty eggs in my refrigerator. But that's just me!

I do get them back up to room temperature before doing any baking with them.

In any case, eggs do keep fresh pretty well. I have had refrigerated washed eggs as old as one month that were just fine (no runny whites or flattened yolks). And they tasted great!

Good luck!
smile.png
Genie

depends on how much time I have.
I am being somewhat serious. If I have the time to brush off any extra sawdust I will finish and put them away. If I know someone will be coming by for eggs I leave them out, (who knows when they will get them in the fridge either, rather not give them out cold then have them heat up again). And sometimes I leave them on the counter in my egg basket waiting for use. Never longer than 2 days though. Usually because they are eaten or someone wanted them.

Back
Top Bottom