Refurbishing Roll-X incubators

Dry Rot

In the Brooder
Jan 10, 2018
I have four old Marsh/Lyon incubators and the thermostats have failed on three of them. I have been reluctant to throw them out because they were good machines in their day. I hatched a lot of bob white in them for dog training. I was also keen on falconry and some of the falconers have suggested workarounds to repair or improve them, but I can't find much information on the thermostats. I am thinking of replacing the thermostats with these, W1209 (http://www.kelco.rs/katalog/images/17670.pdf). Has anyone tried it?

I have done an extensive Google and see that some of you are still using Roll-X incubators. Just a few comments that others might find useful as I see there have been questions, though I am no expert. There are computer fans available on Ebay that can be used to replace the Lyon fans, but I'm also using the incubator as a hatcher so fans do fail. The supplied thermometers can better be replaced with a laboratory thermometer of increased sensitiveity at the required range. With my eyes, I need something with a larger scale anyway! I replaced the temperature adjustment with a ten turn potentiometer as another poster has mentioned. A cheap and easy fix.

Scotland isn't exactly a dry country (!!!), so humidity has never been a problem! I use no water until the first few quail eggs pipped, then remove the grid and replace with a frame of what we call weld mesh but you guys call (I think!) hardware cloth, 1/8 inch mesh, and flood the bottom of the incubator with water.

I like the Roll-X incubators and hope to give mine a new lease of life. A young girl called in for help training her dog the other day so I might try to hatch a few quail again. If I lose the OEG I don't know where I'd get replacements. I love these birds. They roost in the trees and do well on free range and, well, they are just nice to have around...excellent eating too! :)

I looked at your link and see that it is basically same as what I want to suggest, but comes in a nicer safer housing.
You should be able to get this in your country. Not sure of price and you do get whammed with all kind of taxation.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-ST...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

s-l1600.jpg

WISHING YOU BEST.....and :welcome

I looked at your link and see that it is basically same as what I want to suggest, but comes in a nicer safer housing.
You should be able to get this in your country. Not sure of price and you do get whammed with all kind of taxation.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-STC-1000-All-Purpose-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-With-Sensor/371866928100?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

s-l1600.jpg

WISHING YOU BEST.....and :welcome

Yes, cavemanrich, I saw that, also that there have been some strong criticisms of the W1209. I may try that later if the smaller board fails. I gather the problems with the W1209 are that the relay points burn out through the circult rapidly switching between upper and lower temperatures (hysterisis?) which sounds logical as it is only a cheaply made board. But a bit more research came up with a Youtube video (
) by a Russian who had incorporated a stronger relay in the circuit (G3MB-2022P DC-AC PCB SSR 5vdc 240vac 2a) as I am sure others have done which apparently solved the problem. The relevant section starts at 0.40 (haven't a clue what he saying!) in the video with a circuit diagram at 3.11. Apparently that relay is a lot tougher. I also like the small size of the W1209 and the fact that it is possible to get an acrylic case for them which could be glued on the top of the Roll-X. I may be wrong as I haven't tried either but I do know a lot of folk have had success with the STC-1000 and it is recommended, I just prefer the small size -- if it works!

Check the AMP rating on what you are going to use. The STC1000 I just checked is rated for 10 amps . That is more than enough for your incubator use. Below is a copy and paste from description/specifications.

Features:

100% Brand new and high quality!

This mini Temperature Controller is an excellent and convenient multifunction device for controlling temperature in Aquariums. The stability of aquarium temperature is one of the crucial factors that contributes to the health and safety of your fish. By utilizing the temperature controller, you can provide an environment with optimal temperature for your fish. This advanced temperature controller can measure and control temperature from -50 to 90 °C.

This device is also suitable for Laboratories use and other temperature-controlled systems.

Mini and light weight design

Large and clear LCD display

Wide Temperature Range (-50-90 Deg.C)

Dual heating and cooling function

Automatic over temperature alarm

Control temperature by setting the temperature set value and the different value

Temperature Calibration

Refrigerating control output delay protection

Wiring diagram for installation included

Specifications:

Color:Black

Applications:Aquarium, Terrarium, Vivarium, Paludarium ,Chicken Incubator

Temperature Measuring Range: -50 - 90 Deg.C

Control temperature range: -50 - 90 Deg.C (adjustable)

Control temperature difference: 0.3 - 10 Deg.C (adjustable)

Resolution: 0.1 Deg.C

Accuracy: ± 1 Deg.C (-50 - 70 Deg.C)

Sensor: NTC sensor

Sensor error delay: 1 minute

Relay contact capacity (Heating): 10A (max) 250 V

Relay contact capacity (Cooling): 10 A (max) 250 V

Compressor delay protection time: 1 ~ 10 minutes (adjustable)

Operating Temperature: 0 - 60 Deg.C

Storage Temperature: -30 - 75 Deg.C

Operating Relative Humidity: 20 ~ 85 % (No condensation)

Alarm Output : Buzzer

Power Supply: 110~ 220V AC ± 10% , 50 / 60 Hz

Power consumption: < 3 W

Cable length: 1 M

Item dimensions: approx. 84*69*34 MM

Net weight:138g

Thanks for that but I'll see how I get on with he W1209. I'm committed now having invested a pricely $20US or so in the smaller board! :D The STC1000 may be a bit 'over kill' as the Roll-X is only 200W. Has anyone got a schematic for the original Lyon controller board? Just curious to see how it is designed. It's a hell of a price for what it is! I did try to repair one but could not work out what was actaully wrong with it.

Back
Top Bottom