Refusing food

Mjwaker

Chirping
Jul 13, 2020
Hi please help

My cream legbar approx 10 month has dropped eating. I notice yesterday morning. She refused anything anything. I was concerned about impacted crop so did water and olive oil via syringe and a message.
She is passing watery white stools with odd solid black bit.

She is bright red in face, acting looking a chicken but tiring throughout the day.

This morning I woke and she was reluctant to leave the coop, again no food not water.

Took her to the vets, he said her crop isn't impacted he can feel grit, he said her gizzard was fine also. He looked down her throat and said it was fine.

Due to covid I wasn't allowed in the building, he said during the consultation she passed normal poo and ate some feed? And the could find anything wrong with her.
Yet she's not eaten any food since return and continues to have watery stools.

She is continuing to refuse food and water, I got some poultry vitamins and some egg yolk down with syringe and water. She is still red in face but seems vacent.

The rest of the flock is fine. Please help she is breaking my heart and is more of pet then anything. I have her booked in for a second opinion at a different vets tomorrow.

probably worth mentioning she is not laying eggs and hasn't done so as yet. Ive attached a poo and a pic of the hen

Attachments

• PXL_20210118_144609761.jpg
    PXL_20210118_144609761.jpg
    510.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG-20210118-WA0020.jpeg
    IMG-20210118-WA0020.jpeg
    389.3 KB · Views: 4
I was concerned about impacted crop so did water and olive oil via syringe and a message.
She is passing watery white stools with odd solid black bit.
Took her to the vets, he said her crop isn't impacted he can feel grit, he said her gizzard was fine also. He looked down her throat and said it was fine.
probably worth mentioning she is not laying eggs and hasn't done so as yet
What does her crop feel like now?
Can you tell if it's emptying completely overnight?

Did the vet perform a fecal float to check for worms?

If you feel her abdomen below her vent between her legs is there any bloat/swelling or fluid?
Have you felt inside the vent for an egg?

I would make sure she's staying hydrated. Tonight, take the food/water from her cage and let her sleep all night. Check her crop in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink to see that it's empty. After you check her, place her water and feed back in the cage.
IF the crop is not empty in the morning, the I would treat her for crop issues. See the link below. Keep in mind that crop issues are often a symptom of an underlying condition. Worms, Coccidiosis, Reproductive problems and infection are some common causes of a slow crop.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

What does her crop feel like now?
Can you tell if it's emptying completely overnight?

Did the vet perform a fecal float to check for worms?

If you feel her abdomen below her vent between her legs is there any bloat/swelling or fluid?
Have you felt inside the vent for an egg?

I would make sure she's staying hydrated. Tonight, take the food/water from her cage and let her sleep all night. Check her crop in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink to see that it's empty. After you check her, place her water and feed back in the cage.
IF the crop is not empty in the morning, the I would treat her for crop issues. See the link below. Keep in mind that crop issues are often a symptom of an underlying condition. Worms, Coccidiosis, Reproductive problems and infection are some common causes of a slow crop.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
So these are the first hens ive had, so nothing to compare. The vet said it was empty but had grit in it. When I felt It was gritty but I thought I could feel a lump/mass.

There is not bloating swelling or fluid to feel. She is not showing other signs of being egg bound and she has never layed.

I will check the link thanks

Back
Top Bottom