refusing to sit

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Alleyoops25, May 17, 2007.

1. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    :| I am not sure why but none of my chickens willing to sit on their eggs. The roosters are doing thier jobs. But my hens have no interest in becoming Mamma's . THey lay plenty of eggs and the ones I am incubating are definetly fertile. Anyone have a thought on this one?

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    What breed are they and how old are they?

3. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Alot of breeds dont go broody. what breeds do you have?? and how old?

4. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    I have rhode island reds, aracauna's, and cochins. Most are 1 1/2 yrears old. the oldest is 2 yrs. I thought they were good setters but my sure aren't

5. Marc33

Marc33 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2007
    Someone on this board once said that the best way to get a chicken to set is to line up people to buy your eggs!! I thought that was great!

Honestly, I've never seen a rhyme or reason for why my chickens set or not. My last flock I had barred rocks, RIR, and white rocks and the white rocks were by far the best setters. The RIRs would set some but I found in general they didn't make the best moms. The white rocks were awesome moms!

Good luck!

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

My Silkie/Cochin mix Miss MoneyPenny sat for a month on air. I broke her this time thankfully.
    My Leghorn Obelisk sat on her eggs last summer until her sister Slifer pulled a "Bambi meets Godzilla" and smashed em flat...they weren't fertile anyways. I candled...
    So you just never know.
    Cochins, Silkies and Orps are "supposed" to be great setters, but there's exceptions to every rule.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by