Regarding egg color - Is it possible tell which egg came from which hen in your flock?

LittleChicks4Me

Songster
Oct 24, 2014
I was just wondering... If you can tell who laid what egg in your small flock. By the color of the egg?
smile.png

Like a black australorp egg from your bared rock..

or your Buff Brahma from your Rhode Island Red.

Then the tinted eggs.. chocolate.. Green. and blue egg layer's... so many colors.. white layer's would be harder..
idunno.gif

If you can see the color difference that distinguishes them apart?
D.gif

Is there a color chart for eggs, like there is for the hatched chicks distinct marking and colors to each breed?
pop.gif

There is, but they also vary by individual. Many people who have smaller flocks and know their birds well can tell you exactly which egg came from which hen, by slight variations in color, texture, size, etc. If you are around them enough to see an egg laid now and then, and take note. obviously this heps a lot. Prole have done things like putting food coloring around a vent, to mark the egg and discover which hen laid it. Obvously, the best method is confine each hen in the morning til she has laid her egg.

When I am getting 6 or 8 eggs, all brown and from 3 or 4 breeds, it is apparent that each one is just a little different. If I paid attention for a while, it would not be difficult to figure out which hen laid which egg.

X2.
I have 4 BO hens. They each lay a slightly different shade of brown eggs. The shape on 2 of them is slightly different.
They are all molting now, so no eggs :(

You'd be surprised how different white eggs can be. If you've got a dozen leghorns, yeah, you probably won't be able to tell them apart. I have a Sicillian buttercup that lays long, pointy, smooth white eggs; I had a California White that laid big, round, chalky white eggs.

Without witnessing a few eggs being laid, or putting food coloring on a few vents, you won't be able to say the Brahma laid which egg vs a different egg. In general, the Rhode Island Red (Production Red?) will lay bigger eggs than the Brahma.

I've got two Australorp mamas that are laying right now. I can always tell which one laid which egg. Both are creamy brown, but Little Mama's are a little paler and the small end is elongated. Big Mama lays big, beautiful cream-brown eggs that are "perfectly" egg-shaped. Ask me again when the other six start laying, and I may not be so sure. ;)

I'm excited to see if I am able to tell which QUAIL laid which egg when our nine babies start laying!

I've heard eggs are like a hen's fingerprint. :)

MrsB

Yes, eggs can look different, both between breeds and within breeds. My Rhode Island Red lays a dark brown eggs. My Columbian Wyandotte lays a smaller, paler brown eggs. My Silver-Laced Wyandotte lays a brown egg lightly flecked with some white. If you pay close attention, you can learn to tell which bird is laying which eggs.

Back
Top Bottom