Regarding Henry

verlov4

Hatching
Aug 15, 2016
This is Henry. (I am Henry's person)
Not my first rodeo with chickens in my lifetime, but he's our first Roo.
I wasn't too keen on keeping him in the first place, but my husband really likes Henry's look, and they bonded sort of (yes, that happens with chickens).
So anyhow...
Henry started out as an adorable Henrietta, but soon, grew to be his full 'self.'
We are ok with that, we accept all for who they are, however, Henry also happens to be loud, crows whenever we are near, and right under our window of what ever room we are currently in (including the bathroom,... how does he know?)

He crows nonstop when we are home. We live in the middle of nowhere and when it's just my stepson home, he doesn't make a peep. But when we come home, Henry is all about the crowing to tell us whatever he's trying to tell us.

Granted, we did have eight chickens total at the start, but two local dogs escaped their owner, found their way through the woods and mauled two (our Leghorn, Marion, and Barred Rock, "Fussy-Susie" (named by my granddaughter) ) and we're pretty sure Henry had something to do with the death of Lydia (our other Barred Rock) So we are down to four hens and Henry...

Is there something we can do about the crowing? When it's right near the windows, or on the back porch when we are mid conversation, it can become unbearable. The only time he's not crowing is when we are feeding him a treat.

Help?

Thanks! I lived in Ft. Riley for four years, Manhatten for a year, LOVE KS
Great soil there! But am forever a New England girl
and thanks!

welcome-byc.gif
so glad you have joined us.

But so, so sorry about your losses.

IMO record your step son's voice and broadcast it so Henry will think he's there? Sounds like he misses him.

When my stepson is here, Henry says nothing at all. Quiet fills the land. When my husband and I come home, it's complete chaos. I've copied and pasted this question to the "behavior" forum... hope I can find some answers.

When my stepson is here, Henry says nothing at all. Quiet fills the land. When my husband and I come home, it's complete chaos. I've copied and pasted this question to the "behavior" forum... hope I can find some answers.

I have no roosters, so can't offer real solutions or opinions.

But wish you luck in finding a solution. But it does sound like Henry misses your stepson.

Good luck in quietening Henry.

Welcome to BYC! In my experience a Rooster crows for several reasons usually when they are being emotional. Very happy/worried/sad/excited. It is also a territorial thing and while you can try a no-crow-collar I doubt anything is really going to shut him up unless you can figure out just what it is he is trying to tell you. My Roo crows a lot to remind us that the hens are HIS girls because he gets jealous of the attention they pay us whenever we are around them as he prefers to be the star of he show so to speak.

Is Henry afraid of your son - so he keeps quiet? I think Henry has taught you to give him treats to shut him up. Too many treats and he'll be FAT Henry.

Back
Top Bottom