• started in Oct

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • started in Nov

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Don't use lights.

Reason; Never had a need to.
idunno.gif

No light. Honestly, I just haven't bothered. We get nearly enough eggs without it and I don't mind getting a dozen from the store now and then, I ate them for years; now I mostly use them for baking but still don't mind them, just prefer my own for over easy eggs.

If I added light it would be AM only; I don't like the idea of messing with their bedtime and the natural fading of light. I'd use whatever bulb I had, probably a 60W energy saver/fluorescent.

Im finding your post very interesting! My husband actually got the electricity down to the coop today! (not working yet). Im going to run a regular light from 5-7am for a little extra awake time for them.

Interestingly enough i had no eggs until 3 weeks ago! I guess my banties like the cold weather!!!!

I couldn't vote for the type of light I use. We use a strand of 25 LED Christmas lights on a timer for 4 hours in the morning. This brings their total amount of light (LED and then daylight) to about 14 hours. We started in Oct after egg production stopped. This solved the problem and brought production back up to a good level, although it's still not as good as what we had in the summer.

No light. I like a natural slow down in the winter and I still get plenty of eggs, so I don't care if the birds have a rest. I also like them to use their nutrition for keeping warm and healthy instead of peak egg production. I have no illness nor any reproductive difficulties in my flock and I like to keep it that way.

I have five 17 watt fixtures in the big barn and they run a little over 14 hours a day. My lights have been running for the last three years; if the girls need a break they take one.

My other two sheds have fluorescent bulbs.

ETA: I have no reproductive health issues either.

Last edited:
No additional lighting here either. Most pullets lay through the first year well enough that if those numbers are kept up, enough eggs are collected.
While I have used additional lighting in the past with a timer to maintain 14 hours of light. I find it works best to add the light in the morning only, so the flock can go to roost as normal. I don't like the idea of lights off all of sudden in the evening, with the flock caught on the floor in the dark, off the roost. It's easy to wake them early and allow a normal roost.
I also think that a supply of light 24 hours a day is stressful to the flock, and can cause boredom and fatigue. The result of that prolly isn't good either, maybe eggeaters etc.... in my opinion. The more space the flock has the better, if they are closed in the coop totally. Sorry to ramble and start to get off topic, BCC!

Stay Safe,.... ~ bigzio

Back
Top Bottom