Votes: 0 0.0%
  • started in Sept

• started in Oct

• started in Nov

• Total voters
I started using artificial light in Dec. It's a 60W bulb that's been on constantly because I just never got around to putting a timer in yet. I thought it might produce just a little heat, but it just doesn't make a difference in the temperature. Guess I'll put in a timer tomorrow. I'll also use a smaller wattage bulb. I'm not sure if constant light bothers them or not, but there's no indication that it does.

We've been getting quite a few eggs. I doubt it will change much when using a timer, or even no light at all. From what I've read, Sussex lay well right through the winter.

Ed

I'm having a hard time figuring your percents. For example at this time you have 46 people responding and 27 are using timers--in my math class that's about 59% yet you have it at 13%. What gives?

I use lights - have 4 flood lights that kick on @ 5am & off @ 8am - then on again @4 & off @ 9 ish.

Wouldn't have it any other way - couldn't wait to get electricity out to the coop.

I never considered not using lights.

Just a note on what is natural. In the fall, in a natural setting the food the animal/bird eats starts on the cycle of being more scarce and an animal or chicken can conserve energy by spending more time at rest. Because less food is available and long, cold nights are hard on the weakest of the flock, this will be the greatest time of mortality of the old, defective and sick.

In a coop where high quality food is constantly present there is no need to conserve energy beyond that which is required for a rest period - that usually considered to be the period of dark in mid summer.

In fact, there could be an argument that the additional feed and energy of extended hours in the winter helps protect from the chill when energy ebbs in the early morning hours after a long night. I am not saying this is true, just a possibility.

Last edited:
Quote:
the % are done in the forum, I do not calcuate, you will have to ask Nifty how it works

As near as I can figure the percents are based on the total number of responses to all the questions not to the number of people making responses which make them meaningless. As such, they should be ignored. I suspect the program is set up for a poll where only one response per individual is expected. [Sorry but as a mathematician this kind of thing bothers me.]

I held off until yesterday but when egg production pretty much dropped off completely. I now have 24" fluorescent fixtures on a timer. They're set to come on when it starts getting dark at 4:00PM and go off at 9:30PM. I kept mine at night because we're in the city with very close neighbors and I didn't want my roo waking up any earlier that necessary!

I have 36 girls of laying age and am getting 6 to 10 eggs a day with the light on at 3am til 7:30 am. NOT near enough eggs! I am having to divie up the eggs between my egg customers. And of course, this time of year they all want more. I haven't had a egg to eat for over a week now.
he.gif
And i will starve before i eat a store bought egg.
tongue.gif

Back
Top Bottom