Regarding NO light in winter

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Buck Creek Chickens, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Light (see other thread)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Don't want to

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No electric on coop

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Birds to young

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Birds lay well without

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. It does harm to the birds

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Health issue in the past with light

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other (please post why)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  2. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i don't, my opinion is they need that down time in the year, since egg laying is hard work, they need some rest- biologically thats how they are naturally without human intervention

3. WIChookchick

WIChookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Rural Brooklyn, WI
    I keep my chickens in stalls in a barn, The main stall has double plastic over 2 windows, so gets daylight, but they don't get any extra light.

4. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    My pullets started laying this winter with no light. IMHO Nature intended us to have the light that we have. Lights in the coop also present a fire hazard.

5. farmnfowl

farmnfowl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2010
    Northwest Indiana
    I choose no light but that requires having pullets of the right age if your looking for egg production.
    Also if your birds are under light and its cold outside,it is dangerous if the lights go out.This would trigger
    an unwanted Molt and the results could be Horrific as they will lose 90 percent of thier feathers so be careful
    if you are running lights you should buy some Battery operated lights for backup.

6. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I let Mother Nature decide how much light my chickens get. It's cheaper and safer than artificial lighting. I'm still getting 8 to 10 eggs daily, so have more than we can use. I do have a light in the main coop which I leave on just long enough for everybody to get settled in for the night. I turn it on when I close them up and then go out about 10 minutes later to turn it off, and anybody left still on the ground gets a little help up to the roost.

7. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    I have no lights in my coop.My coop is 8'x8'x7' high within a run of 12'x24'x7'high.Its covered all around with used billboard vinyl.

They dont get much light,but are still laying 4-5 eggs,which is low,but its just 4 of us in our house so 2 doz eggs per week is ok thru winter.

Also we feed them craacked corn,which makes a chickens body heat climb to 5btu's.Its good heat thru the winter.

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    My goals are more meat than eggs, so I see no reason for me to spend the extra money on the electricity. Just a couple of eggs a day is all I need for my use. There is also the fire hazard.

They look so much better when their new feathers come in after a molt. So bright, clean, and fresh.

Some hens can molt and get back to egg laying in a couple of months. Others may take four or five months. I'd prefer them to get the molt over with in the cold weather so they are primed for peak egg laying in the Spring.

9. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Quote:X 2 [​IMG]

10. fratermus

fratermus Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2010
    Point, Rains county, Tx
    Quote:Agreed. I am shooting for happy/healthy birds, not max egg production. I am happy to give them downtime if they want it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by