Regarding the Horses in our lives...

Pics
He broke a long dry spell
ya.gif

Last edited:
Quote: We've been through this before but let's do it again: The bad spelling came from a mistake in the horse's registration paperwork.
The Courier-Journal of Louisville reported that a fan submitted the name of the horse during an online contest, and spelled "pharaoh" wrong. The woman later told media outlets she checked the spelling before she submitted the name.

Regardless, the misspelling was put on the electronic form to the site where owners register their horses. Now the name is trademarked, the Louisville paper reported.
That hasn't stopped the name from trending in the past with the wrong spelling, though that did not seem to be the case Saturday night.
But as long as American Pharoah's owner, Ahmed Zayat, sticks with it, it seems the rest of the world with have to follow suit.

Besides, horses can't spell.
-Kathy

Last edited:
That was a pretty big field for a Belmont. It may not have been the most exciting for the fans, but the strategy worked - keep him out of trouble by taking him right to the front, and win the thing going away. It's amazing to see a horse finish a race as long as the Belmont looking like he still has gas in the tank. I'll bet there's a bunch of folks whose feet haven't touched the ground yet!

You're right, that Belmont is a looong race. I thought 8 horses was a small group, but I don't know what the average is.

Still, no one beats the Belmont finish by Secretariat.

Apparently, not a lot of people want to send 3-year-olds out to run a mile and a half. When Secretariat ran, there were only 4 other horses on the track. Though the way he finished, it hardly mattered

(I think everyone knows this picture of Ron Turcott looking back like, "OK, I know there were other horses out here; where are they?")

But mentioning Secretariat, he still holds the record, not only for the fastest finish time, but also for most of the fractions.

I suppose the comparisons are inevitable; I certainly don't mean to dim the limelight for Pharoah in any way. He has earned his accolades, and his race was impressive

I am always in awe of anyone who can stick to a flat saddle....  I rode in one once and just about died.... :gig

deb

Before my accident I could stick on a saddle seat saddle even when at a canter and my mount would take a flying leap sideways because she spooked at a shadow LOL! I attribute that to two different reasons: 1. I rode bare back most my life and I mean BARE! No bareback pads. 2. My riding instructor who made us ride on the longe line sans stirrups or reins. We had to hold our arms out parallel with the ground. In that position, we sat a walk, trot, canter, and short bars the horse had to jump over. All that is tremendous training for your core. You should literally be one with the horse. My gran rode her gelding Danny without saddle or bridle, controlling his direction by tapping on his neck. When my grandfather first met her (they were 16) she galloped into their farmyard and brought Danny to a skidding stop then he reared! It terrified him, and made a very deep impression, love at first sight. She was 4' 10" tall. My great gramp said she was a tiger wrapped in wildcat skins (small on the outside but huge on the inside)

Back
Top Bottom